Skins dont work

alexshrub

Hello, I previously had a skin for the Wolf working and tried to get a Lion skin.

Didn't work.
And now the wolf skin has gone kaput.

Help?

Everything is in the proper directory

C:\Program Files\Lionhead Studios\Black & White 2\Data\ctr\b(species)

Hey! Welcome to the forums.
How do you mean it has gone 'kaput'? Is it invisible or some other bizarre texture on the wolf? Did you unpack everything.stuff? Elaborate a bit more. Thanks  :)

Sure thing.

Once i installed the lion skin, the wolf just defaulted to the vanilla wolf skin from base game.
Neither skin shows up.

This is on a fresh install.

Interesting... you try removing the files in the place and see if the skin shows up as vanilla? also just incase try saving the game if you do that...although I don't think that should change anything. After that, try it again. Perhaps the game's reading wrong what it loads wrong?  ???

Also, it'd probably be a good idea if you take a stab at trying other wolf/lion skins on here, and see if they work.

You say you're on a fresh install. I'm guessing that means you didn't unpack everything.stuff? In that case, the skins of the creatures may be misnamed. Check and see if they're named properly (apart from other skins if you're choosing to try that).

Do you have UAC turned on? I'm not sure if conflicts with BW2 in any way (other games I've played seemed to, apparently) but that might be one reason. Shouldn't take my word for it though  :no

These are just suggestions, I've never heard of a thing like this before -- You've probably already licked the forum clean trying to find an issue similar. Maybe someone from the staff will come on and give a hand as they're likely way more knowledgeable than I will ever be about this  :yes

EDIT: forgot to ask, the lion skin works then? and wolf defaulted right as you installed the lion? I think that still deserves to be checked with other skins around here. Shouldn't take too long  :)

FunniestMonkey said:
EDIT: forgot to ask, the lion skin works then? and wolf defaulted right as you installed the lion? I think that still deserves to be checked with other skins around here. Shouldn't take too long  :)

Neither the Lion nor the Wolf skin worked.

But I figured it out!
Your suggestions about UAC made me think to run the game as administrator, and the skins worked!

I assume that Windows was blocking the game from using the custom files for admin reasons.

So if your skins ever don't work, run as Administrator.

Thanks for your time!

Even though you've solved this now, a quick question to get an understanding of why this happens.. Were you using a 64 bit operating system?

Yes, Windows 8 64 bit, but it is installed in the 32 bit Program Files folder.

alexshrub said:
Yes, Windows 8 64 bit, but it is installed in the 32 bit Program Files folder.

Ahah, 64 bit seems to be a reoccurring issue where you MUST run as administrator.

Anytime! I'm glad you've gotten it to work. Thanks, also, for posting your solution  :yes

Back