Skinning utility? and skinning

Sirus

Hi can somebody help me on skinning i got the skin utility and when i use it and put the l3d file in it makes it into a picture then i open it with photoimpression then do my skinning the drag it back ito the utility and it makes it but when i got into the game it comes out all see throught and holes and like black? please help me

When you save the .tga file it needs to be saved as uncompressed. Do a "Save As" and there should be an options button where that can be changed. The .tga file should be about 500 KB in size.

Hope this helps :)

thank you very much kay i hope that that works im not able to check now unfortunatly but i will try and make sure it works but thank you very much for helping me i cant believe you replied to me i would have never thought one of the really good people at this stuff would help me thank you.

No problem. That's what we're here for. :)

Hope that solves your problem.

Hmm ok i got the wolf base model i dragged into the skin utility it made the .tga in the folder its 513kb then i edited it and now its 316 kb is that ok? also waht about the hand is there anything to that?

If the .tga file is 316 KB after you edit it, then it sounds like it's compressing it. What does it look like in the model viewer?
Try doing a "Save As" and find the options button. You should be able to change your settings there. They should be 24 bit colour and uncompressed.

Hands are done the same way as with the creature skins.

well when i look at it in the model veiwer its like black and all blurred and its in like stripes i can make out some of the skin but its all distorted. i have no idea what im doing im sorry to be a pain but do you think you can go into step by step instructions on what to do from the beginning maybe its something else. if its no trouble :(

oh actually when i was doing it in photo impression i did save as and it says file name under that it says save as type then you can choose and under it it has a box were you can check it and says compress but when i do all that and save it as a tga it still does nothing ill keep trying and give an update.

Just thought of something.  :idea

When you start skinning, don't use a file that you've already edited. Start with a fresh one from your CreatureMind backup folder. You did backup your skins before starting to alter them didn't you. ???

That's true, tampering with a file that you've already edited can cause some rather funky trasparencies.. Not a good idea. Get a fresh one just as Kays said.

I wish I'd learn enough on the skins so I could scrape a recolouring tutorial together.  :)

ya ive got all my backups of my skins good evil base only not fat skinny,etc tho what do you mean ones that have not yet been edited? i take the original skin file to edit if thats what you mean? what do you mean creature minds. i edit it from the creature mesh right?

Sorry I meant CreatureMesh. :rolleyes

What I'm suggesting is that you don't use a skin that has beeen already edited, but start with a fresh one from your backup file. See if that helps.

ya of course i use the new ones :;):  maybe its not a problem like that maybe its just me or my computer  :down  i honestly have no clue what to do. i really want to be skinning stuff  hopefully i or you or someone else can solve it.

if you want to see what a before and after i can show you</font>

There was another member a while ago who just couldn't get it to work either. ???

If you've got a fast connection, got to www.jasc.com and download the trial version of PaintShopPo. That's what I use and it doesn't give me any problems when skinning. Give it a try and see if you get the same results.

Btw, could you zip one of the files and submit it so that I can have a look at it.

http://www.bwfiles.com/home/submit_form.html

Thanks.

alright i sent it to you. well unfortuneatly i got like the slowest computer in the world only downloads about 1 kb a sec and that sayed it would take 53 hours to download so that stinks :(  but the program i use now photo impression is pretty good im not sure if you heard of it but it came with the hp.

Well it was a thought. I think I've got Photo Impressions loaded on my other pc. If I get a chance I'll see if can find out what's happening. I just got your file and I look at that  a little later also.

ok cool  :)  thanks for helping me i know im kinda annoying sorry :(  and ask alot of questions.

well... even though i have'nt posted in this yet.... i dont think you're being annoying... and questions are needed in order for people like Kays to help

wait a second i just did it i made a skin it finally worked i think you were quite right that it was compressing it  :p  i went to picture it then copyed my original good one onto the distorted one then re did it and it was 512 kb and i used the visualizer and it worked thank you so very much for all your help i really appriciate it.

thanks
sirus  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Back