Running Black & White on Windows 10

Hello Matt! Your guide on how to get B&W working properly is amazing. One question though... how can I get the game to allow me to load my saves? It brings me back to creature selection no matter what I do. It's not even loading my save from save on exit or autosave after hours of gameplay each time. I'm on windows prof 64 bit.
Actually, I believe I resolved the issue by reinstalling to a games folder I created instead of the program files x86

Hi Everyone,

I recently updated my system to Windows 11. When trying to get B&W to work I thought I'd give a try to Matt's description anyways.

My problem concerns the installation of patch 1.2. Here's the error message:
1642190192911.png
It says "Access denied".

I gave it a try by continuing installation with patch 1.42 and then starting the game. The game only plays the intro and crashes when reaching the loading screen.
Hopefully one of you has an easy fix for my issue with patch 1.2 because I guess that's the culprit in my case :(

Hi all,

I've tried installing Black and White following Matt's instructions. The game loads up fine and I can select my name and icon. However, as soon as I click OK on the step screenshotted below, the game crashes. This is irrespective of which option I choose.

Has anyone else experienced this and hopefully resolved it? If not, any ideas on how I can fix it?

Thanks

1643724024403.png

If you have any problems, uninstall the game
Black and White was released in 2001, it's almost 20 years old! And sadly it hasn't aged well, there are a lot of issues, but they can be fixed! Here's how.

Uninstall any previous attempts

Before you attempt to install anything, if you have failed to install it properly before, make sure you uninstall it properly.

First off you should run the game's uninstaller, however this won't be enough - you'll also need to delete the game's folder usually:

Code:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Lionhead Studios Ltd\Black & White

Then you will need to delete the following registry values using regedit:

On a 64-bit system:

Code:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Lionhead Studios Ltd\Black & White
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Lionhead Studios Ltd\Black and White
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Lionhead Studios Ltd\Black and White Clan Patch
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Lionhead Studios Ltd\Black and White Patch
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{E51B4CD9-A0A6-4324-B26A-31B3F2DE26CE}

On a 32-bit system:

Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Lionhead Studios Ltd\Black and White
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Lionhead Studios Ltd\Black and White Clan Patch
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Lionhead Studios Ltd\Black and White Patch
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{E51B4CD9-A0A6-4324-B26A-31B3F2DE26CE}

Once you have done that, you are good to install again!

Installing the game

First of all you will need a clean copy of the Black & White disc, either in your optical drive or more likely mounted in ISO format. (Don't ask us where to get these. ;))

All you need to do to install the game is run Setup.exe as Administrator by right clicking it and pressing "Run as Administrator".

You will most likely face issues unless you install the game to the C:/ drive.

Once the game is installed it will ask you if you want to play the game, select no.

You should now install villager banter add-on and football add-on if you want to, these need to be Run as Administrator also.
Creature unlockers do not need to be installed as they are included in the unofficial patch below.

Patching the game

Without the unofficial patch, the game will not launch, so it is crucial you follow the order of steps below exactly.

You should not install patch 1.3, it is a patch purely for the P5 glove.

1. Download and install Patch v1.1 and Run as Administrator.
  2. Download and install Patch v1.2 and Run as Administrator.
  3. Download and install Unofficial Patch v1.42 and Run as Administrator.
Your game is now playable, hurrah! However there are some additional steps you may want to take.

How to get the game to play music

The installer does not copy music audio over to the game folder and can't play it. You need to copy the Audio folder from the CD to your installation folder.

2es6cRv.png

When copying you may be asked to merge, simply say yes.

Configuring graphical options

With the fan patch, a Setup.exe is included in the game's directory, simply run it and select your screen resolution and ensure your graphics quality is set to "Maximum Detail".

3kyplfS.png

Playing the game

When starting the game, set runblack.exe to Run as Administrator.

Don't use Compatibility mode, it will cause more problems then it solves.

If you have any issues please leave a reply below and be descriptive as possible so we can best help you.
Or you can join our Discord for help too.

Have fun playing Black and White! :)

Other links

Running on Mac?

The Mac port for this game only runs on older Macs (PowerPC) - it is incompatible with newer Macs. Sorry!

Windows 10, step by step guide within a guide for the technically confused.

• If anyone is having any trouble with the black and white installation on windows 10.
  • Look no further.
  • Please re-read the instructions and listen to my little guide to help you get past all the confusions errors.
  • Like the patches not recognizing the game because you didn't make a new folder for the game installation.
  • Make sure to do a fresh install and reboot each time.

Step 1

Uninstall any previous attempts

"Before you attempt to install anything if you have failed to install it properly before, make sure you uninstall it properly.

First, off you should run the game's uninstaller, however, this won't be enough - you'll also need to delete the game's folder usually:

Code:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Lionhead Studios Ltd\Black & White

Then you will need to delete the following registry values using regedit: {I used registry editor on my Windows 10, i think it came stock}

On a 64-bit system:

Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Lionhead Studios Ltd\Black and White
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Lionhead Studios Ltd\Black and White Clan Patch
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Lionhead Studios Ltd\Black and White Patch
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{E51B4CD9-A0A6-4324-B26A-31B3F2DE26CE}

On a 32-bit system:

Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Lionhead Studios Ltd\Black and White
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Lionhead Studios Ltd\Black and White Clan Patch
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Lionhead Studios Ltd\Black and White Patch
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{E51B4CD9-A0A6-4324-B26A-31B3F2DE26CE}

Once you have done that, you are good to install again!"

Step 2

Installing the game:
Pretty straightforward. Insert Disk, install.

Step 3

Patching the game:
Use Patch. 1.1, 1.2, 1.43 in that order, If you have any trouble. That is because you need to install the game to a new folder on your [C:\Drive] or wherever. As stated in a previous comment. The patches will not work if you patch the game in the original C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\LionheadStudios... Where the CD installs the game, change it.

Make sure to use the right directory to then patch the game with Patch 1.1, 1.2, and 1.43{FanPatch}
It's essential to use the fanmade patch for Windows.

Step 4
Audio

How to get the game to play music by copying the Audio files from Cd into the Black and White Folder you created to allow the Patchs to work.

Step 5
Resolution

Your Resolution should be 800x600 at first, then change it and alt-tab to bring the task manager up, and terminate the black and white client, until you center the video. Hopefully, your computer can handle this action, other than just running 800x600, until you give up and try to figure it out.

If your installation isn't working, make sure to uninstall the client as Step 1 describes by removing the registry and folder files. Reinstall the game from the disk into a new folder, update with patches 1,2, 3 [fan patch Essential to make it run on Windows 10]. Copy the audio file and replace the audio file in the game folder. Make sure to set the resolution to 800x600 to start, then change it until it fits your monitor. Mine is 1176 x 664.

Step 6.

Hopefully, nothing and you can enjoy the game but just in case. just leave a comment.

Hi all, firstly I was so hyped to stumble across this project. I loved B&W 1 as a 9 year old but never had the patience to finish it so I'm excited to give it a go in my 30s. I've installed the base game, 1.1, 1.2 and 1.42 and am launching the game with the runblack.exe file. I have my video settings to 1920x1080. I haven't changed anything further. Unfortunately the game is stuttering for me, the menu where I type my name and select my symbol and the intro video of the child running to the water to be saved too. My pc is Intel i7-8700 @3.2Ghz, 32G ram, Nvidia RTX 2070. My Windows 10 is 64 bit. Oddly, if I run this in windowed mode and click onto my second monitor (without the game running on it) the intro video runs perfect, when I click onto the running B&W game the stuttering occurs. Anyway, I've searched through the discord channels and forum posts for any similar problems but it only makes me jealous of all the smooth running gameplay. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Edit: Looks like it's fixed by disabling G-Sync for my Nvidia graphics card.

Last edited:
Buongiorno a tutti, ho appena seguito tutti i passaggi per installarlo. Ma non appena parte il gioco si blocca ed esce.. cosa posso fare? grazie e per le vostre risposte

@Matt Would it be possible for you to add the Infinite Drawing Distance as Optional 4th step into´your guide?

It's just such a huge QoL that it is almost a must to have for all players imo.
Patching the game

Without the unofficial patch, the game will not launch, so it is crucial you follow the order of steps below exactly.

You should not install patch 1.3, it is a patch purely for the P5 glove.

1. Download and install Patch v1.1 and Run as Administrator.
  2. Download and install Patch v1.2 and Run as Administrator.
  3. Download and install Unofficial Patch v1.42 and Run as Administrator.
  4. (Optional) Download the Infinite Drawing Distance runblack.exe and replace your runblack.exe with it.

Last edited:
@Matt Would it be possible for you to add the Infinite Drawing Distance as Optional 4th step into´your guide?

It's just such a huge QoL that it is almost a must to have for all players imo.

I don't believe it to be stable so I'm not going to recommend it. Even on modern hardware the game is still running on DX8 and rendering more than originally intended at once is going to make crashes much more likely.

Ok, i've already reported this to the Discord but i guess i'll do it here also since it's a really nasty bug that causes the game to be gradually unplayable:
Regardless if im using vanilla Black And White and/ or Ultimate and/or other mods, the game keeps crashing everytime my creature is in the process of respawning either from fainting from Tornado or from Damage/Hunger/Tiredness when i reaches 100 % when killed, happens also on new profile/new creature be it in Black And White or Ultimate, as soon it starts to respawn it crashes everytime and yes i followed every process of installation here

Some of us do not have the original disks. I have funked with this at one point and it did work. But the combination eludes me since I had to reinstall. Is there an updated version of the install? The new one from a month ago does not work. When I try to load the first patch (as an admin) I keep getting the game not installed properly.

There is a modification Black & White: Ultimate. is a large modification based on Black & White: Creature Isle. It includes the original Black & White story, the original Creature Isle story and many other extra features, all in a single mod. This means you can play the original Black & White with all the features from Creature Isle!

Also, there is a modification HD Project which improves textures and 3D models. Install on top of Ultimate.

There is also another modification Genesis Mod, which is install on top of the HD Project.
This modification smoothly develops into a full-fledged Black&White: Definitive Edition
The Genesis mod includes many new islands with a big story in 4 parts (Stormymod part, God-Father part, Atlantis part and Volcano part).
And some of the features you know from Black&White 2, like the multi-pickup and epic wonders, are now available in the first part of Black and White. Also added new objects (chaos diamonds) and new textures for stones and pillars. The game also has an in-game map editor.
1. Ten Epic-Wonders.
2. Tributmode with different Extras, for example Day/Night changer, Multipickup, Extra-Buildings... (Additional buildings can be purchased separately in Tributmode.)
3. A new Story with more than 15 lands, new gods and more...
4. Two new creatures (a Fox and a Dragon) and a new Spell (Spell of Hungry).
5. Much other bonus features like Interface, Extra Stats....
6. In-game map editor (only available in skirmish mode )
7. New objects and textures (textures of water, stones, pillars, sky, horizon, etc.).
8. New music and improved quality of existing music (some music tracks replaced with music from B&W2)
9. Many puzzle challenges (such as fish puzzle, totem puzzle or temple puzzle) have been added to different lands (some also as new story scenarios)
You can discuss the development of the Genesismod or Definitive Edition with the author on Discord

Last edited:
There is a modification Black & White: Ultimate. is a large modification based on Black & White: Creature Isle. It includes the original Black & White story, the original Creature Isle story and many other extra features, all in a single mod. This means you can play the original Black & White with all the features from Creature Isle!

Also, there is a modification HD Project which improves textures and 3D models. Install on top of Ultimate.

There is also another modification Genesis Mod, which is install on top of the HD Project.
Carefully!!! The Genesis mod replaces the original Creature Isle, plus all menus and dialogues are in German.
The Genesis mod includes many new islands with a big story in 4 parts (Stormymod part, God-Father part, Atlantis part and Volcano part).
And some of the features you know from Black&White 2, like the multi-pickup and epic wonders, are now available in the first part of Black and White. New objects have also been added, such as Chaos Diamonds, and some objects and other things have received new textures, such as stones. The game also has an in-game map editor.
I forgot to make an edit. I did find a way to install. The only dumb thing is that the ape is basically a roving moron. No matter what I do he always wants to poop everywhere and is always playful. I have deleted/created new profiles all the time just to test some theories. I light punish to basic ape-abuse and no matter what, he still wants to flip me off and go play and shit on everything. But he's too cute to not pick, so I'm trying every permutation I can think of. lol

Hello Black_White_Patch_v1.100 show that error in Windows 10 doing exactly what the intallation tutorial says untill step 2.

rg.jpg

EDIT: Im sorry I just figured out I did not install the game to a custom folder. Been looking to play this for twenty years lol.
But now it seems music its not working :/

Edit: I copyed the Music folder from cd to the installation folder.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm having the "game instantly closes after the intro" problem. I did everything right except when I ran the 1.42 patch it created a secondary folder called "Black & White", inside the folder I made . I assume the files were supposed to replace the ones I had in my folder so I moved/replaced them, not sure if that caused this problem. Should I just wipe it all and try again or is something else the problem?

Hi, has anyone managed to play the game on windows 11? at resolutions higher than 800x600 the screen is not centered.

runblack_2023_03_24_20_18_13_213.jpg

Hi, has anyone managed to play the game on windows 11? at resolutions higher than 800x600 the screen is not centered.

View attachment 7498
In the Fan Patch set up utility try to choose a different resolution.
Try to check "windowed" and see what works.
I am running the game on a M2 Apple with a native resolution of 2560x1664.
In the setting utility I have a setting of 1710x1112 w/o windowed checked and it is perfect in full screen mode.

What is the BaW Patch?
Is it necessary if the Fan patch is already installed?
Thanks

Here is a new "runblack.exe" based on the 1.42 patch. (replace the file after installing 1.42)
This one was created by the Discord user "ayleia" from the B&W Discord.

It increases the drawing distance of (almost all) 3D models.
The only thing that still fades out is the land texture.

Still, this change also seems to slightly increase the performance overall on top of the amazing gameplay improvement of not having everything fade out in front of your face.

Apparently Matt is supposed to release an official mod of this on BWFiles soon?
So far no word on it though, so I thought I'd at least share this one made by ayleia, as it is an amazing quality of life improvement!

thank you! thats what im looking for! <3

If anyone is having issues with the native screen resolution not fitting the screen properly (e.g. trying to use a 1920x1080 screen resolution when that's your native screen resolution, and half the image not appearing on the screen) - on Windows 10/11 there's a 'scaling' option in Display Settings which seems to impact it.
I haven't looked into a way to change this only on the one game, but I'm sure it's possible - for a quick win, use this:
1696270696735.png

Back