Running Black & White on Windows 10

Godfrey123 said:
Can someone private message me on this stuff.  I bought the CD after not playing in for a decade or so and have a Windows 10 laptop.  I've never done any of this iso stuff or cracking and I have followed these idiot guides to a T and still don't understand how to get this stuff to work.  I don't want to clog up  the thread, so I need someone to just hold my hand through this stuff.

Thank you,

Put the CD in. Right click the Setup.exe on the CD and run as admin. Install the patches as admin. Run the game as admin. Done.

Yeah another great guide - ive since completed bw2 and botg and played a lot of custom maps and ordered a bw1 copy its arrived, been installed using this guide and now played :)  cheers .

Hi, I am encountering quite a problem.

After installing the game like this, everything works perfectly, absolutely no performance issue, however the middle click on the mouse simply refuses to work when the game is ran as an administrator and I have no idea why that is. If I don't run the game as an administrator, the middle click works perfectly, but as soon as I run it as an administrator, it stops working.

This is rather infuriating since I have always played this game with the middle click for a faster and more efficient camera control so I definitely don't want to let go of it, but if I don't run the game as an administrator the game does not save properly.

I am using a Logitech Zone Touch Mouse T400, I have the latest driver and I did enable the middle click in Set Point. I am on Windows 10 64 bit.

EDIT: I have managed to fix it. After some research, I found out that "Customized button assignments do not work in Windows Safe Mode or when you open a program using the Run as administrator command." ( https://www.microsoft.com/accessories/en-ca/support/troubleshooting/mouse/using-mouse-buttons ). Upon further investigation, I also found out that "To enable [customized] mouse [buttons] (which is needed for the middle click on the T400 to actually act as a middle click), open the application without administrator credentials (as I stated in my original post), or log on to Windows as an administrator." ( https://www.microsoft.com/accessories/en-ca/support/how-to/mouse/reassign-buttons ). Since I am already the administrator of this PC, I thought it should already work, but then it struck me that just about every program on windows 10 requires to be ran as administrator manually in order to work correctly, and so I thought "let's try restoring the t400 button mapping to default, then running Set Point (Logitech's driver assistant/button mapper) as an administrator and THEN change the middle click to be a middle click!"

And it worked. Basically, the problem was that my t400's button mapping was not a part of the administrator settings since I never ran Set Point as an administrator. Therefore, the game would not recognize its settings when ran as an administrator since doing so only enables the administrator settings. Running Set Point as an administrator to enable the middle click made it a part of those settings which the game can now run with when ran as an administrator.

If it ever happens to you, now you know what to do! Except it will not be Set Point if you don't have a Logitech mouse, but the solution is the same. Hope this helps!

EDIT 2: When the computer restarts, Set Point automattically opens, but not as administrator. Therefore, I have to exit set point and run it again as administrator everytime I restart the computer, otherwise the middle click will not work in B&W when ran as administrator.

Not to revive a dead topic or anything.
I had the "lh has stopped working" - and like an idiot I assumed I was at fault, because lets face it, good chances.
I reinstalled nearly 10 times, I CAN NOT MAKE THE FUCKING THING WORK, in fullscreen, BUT I changed to windowed and have a program to make it go fullscreen windowed (which I prefer because dual monitors) and it works fine. I have no clue what the difference is from fullscreen to windowed, but I could not make it work with fullscreen.
Just to anyone if they too are banging their head into their keyboard for 1 hour + over this.

Another possible fix for some from my own experiences:

I had problems with "Lh has stopped working" error, too, letting the game crash after the first intro video.

The problem was I tried to install everything into a hd not in the "c" root directory, it was "d" in my case.

The game installed just fine, but when trying to install the first two official patches, I got following error: "Neither command line specified is an existing directory" and something like "not the correct version of B&W installed".

So I kept with just installing the fan patch, which didn't work and let the game crash as described before.

When I changed to c directory, the first two patches installed just fine, and everything worked out splendidly.
With "c" as root, B&W ran equally nice on both a WIN7 64 and a WIN10 64 system!

Cheers!

Followed the instructions. Game plays the intro, and crashes at the first loading screen with a "lh stopped working" every time. Did multiple clean uninstalls and nothing has changed.

Trying to run it on Windows 7 64. Tried in both windowed and fullscreen with same results. I'm completely stumped. Installing by running setup from an ISO and following all steps. Used admin for each installation.

Emperoreddy said:
Followed the instructions. Game plays the intro, and crashes at the first loading screen with a "lh stopped working" every time. Did multiple clean uninstalls and nothing has changed.

Trying to run it on Windows 7 64. Tried in both windowed and fullscreen with same results. I'm completely stumped. Installing by running setup from an ISO and following all steps. Used admin for each installation.

Did you install the fan patch, are you running with any compatibility settings, admin mode, what are your system specs, don't try and put a nocd crack over the fan patch also, it includes one.

Any other info you can give me about the crash (debug info) would greatly help.

Does this fan patch work if I install my Creature Isle expansion? Thanks in advance...I may give this a try!

Hope someone can help me.

I'm installing BW1 on windows 10 x64 using the guide on this post and the game works perfectly except for a scalation problem. When i run the game, it looks like this.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cev0ukqt19ilyxj/BW.jpg?dl=0

I'm using a tv 32" as a monitor, so i think this might be a problem. Using borderless gamming or other external solutions don't fix that, and the setup (1.4 patch) seems to change the registers perfectly.

Thx for the help :p.

I think DPI scaling in Windows messes up the resolution. You could try running it in windowed mode perhaps. Or alternatively change the scaling of your Windows to 100% you can do that from the display settings menu:

suaqeJX.png

No problem, any other issues feel free to ask :)

Hi.

I recently switched to Windows 10 and manually changed the resolution to match my laptop resolution (1366 x 768)
However now during cinematics, the black bars that appear on the top and bottom are missing.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/g7ESo8ATCPd9Wf3r40oXpqBn8g-CZmqV2WH4OJpOzI-Q57dr8B8R-QX8JrdFdNWQ-0KmfzhuphI_MCg=w1366-h613-rw

This wasn't an issue on Windows 8.
Any idea?

Thanks

Hello,

firstly thanks for the nice help with the installtion of Black and White. Sadly I encountered some problems. I got an original CD here and a (kind of) fresh win 10. I installed Black and White without any problems but then I tried the patches. Even the 1.1 didn't want to install so I decided I'll just skip the patches and go with your fanpatch (Errormessage was something with no rights to write or something). After setting my resolution I started the game without setting anything. While trying to load: lh has stopped working. Started with Admin : lh has stopped working. Any Ideas ? Maybe I'm missing some files ? Are the patches 100% needed and this is the problem ?

Would be nice if you could help.

You need to install the game as an admin, and then install the fan patches as admin. You then either run the game under normal mode or admin mode, switching between the two will clear your save game.

Hi Matt,

My partner and I are trying to get B&W to run on our own machines, a Windows 7 ASUS Laptop and a Windows 10 Desktop, respectively. The game worked on my desktop fine without the fan patch, but crashes on the first loading screen with it. Conversely, my partner's game stopped responding without the fan patch, and the same crash occurs with the fan patch installed. The message says 'lh.exe has stopped responding'. Here's the event viewer log, for reference:

Code:
Faulting application name: runblack.exe, version: 1.0.0.1, time stamp: 0x3d0ecf82
Faulting module name: runblack.exe, version: 1.0.0.1, time stamp: 0x3d0ecf82
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0016e1fe
Faulting process id: 0x1e64
Faulting application start time: 0x01d2d6a7c2d72100
Faulting application path: C:\B\runblack.exe
Faulting module path: C:\B\runblack.exe
Report Id: 350b7ce2-a8ed-41da-9e42-12b99683f300
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Was there something I'm missing? I've tried everything in your guide and online and nothing can seem to get it working for my partner and I.

Thanks

Handsome Matt said:
You need to install the game as an admin, and then install the fan patches as admin. You then either run the game under normal mode or admin mode, switching between the two will clear your save game.

I did ... :(

Question is still : Do I really NEED the original patches 1.1 and 1.2 ? Cus I loved the tapping a wood/food wonder to produce a large amount :D Game is hard enough we should be allowed to exploid some nice bugs ;)

Wow, credit where it's due.

Thumbs up to Handsome Matt for doing this work!

I have only 1 issue as of yet (about 1 hour into the game again)... I don't seem to have ANY of the tooltips. Which is at least a minor inconvenience, because I don't get real-time updates as to what reactions my creature is giving to me.

Quick side note: The subtitles of the consciences are showing up, it's just the tooltips in specific that are missing for me.

Second quick side note: I just entered the 2nd island and the tooltips seem to have returned. No idea how or what. :p

Centaurus87 said:
Wow, credit where it's due.

Thumbs up to Handsome Matt for doing this work!

I have only 1 issue as of yet (about 1 hour into the game again)... I don't seem to have ANY of the tooltips. Which is at least a minor inconvenience, because I don't get real-time updates as to what reactions my creature is giving to me.

Quick side note: The subtitles of the consciences are showing up, it's just the tooltips in specific that are missing for me.

Second quick side note: I just entered the 2nd island and the tooltips seem to have returned. No idea how or what. :p

You mean like the thoughts of the creature ? I know that these are missing pretty often. I normally just go into a free game or whatever it's called and then they're back. :)

Not sure if the original dev is still around so I thought I would help  :cool:

If you play the game in a rez higher than 1920x1080, you'll get the lh not working error.

Back