Running Black & White on Windows 10

asdsgksgjhdlk said:
well, so I guess I can't do nothing more, but I thought it looked better.. is there any bwbackup software that will work with your patch ?

normal bwbackup software should work just fine? what issues are you having?

Handsome Matt said:
normal bwbackup software should work just fine? what issues are you having?

I played this game about 2 years ago and I decided to clean my HDD, I thought that "copy,paste" will keep my save data from BW,but I was horribly WRONG.. I installed BW yesterday and I was struggling with those folders, after some time, I've read on forums about save data from this game. I only copied my "Profile" folder, you know the rest. The game was crashing on save, my creature forgot all spells and stuff so I have to start all over again... But there is 1.2 and your 1.4 patch. I don't know which should I use for future backups and multiplayer game.

I've noticed a problem as of recently: Whenever I play the game, even with all the patches, Creatures, and new stuff, the game won't show up when I click runblack.exe.  :help

White123lol said:
i cant start the Fan Patch setup.exe

I have the same problem. Before 2 or 3 weeks i had installed the fan patch and played a lot. I uninstalled the game and now me and a friend of mine want to play multiplayer. We instaled 1.1, 1.2  and he installed the fan patch. When i click on the application i notice that in the task manager processes i have 3 instances of the BWFanPatchInstaller.exe. Nothing loads up....  :help

BTW in gog you can vote so for black and white. If it gets enough votes they will add it in gog and we will be able buy the game and have support for it.

Hi there, my problem is with the installation of the patches. I have the game installed in C:\Games\Black & White and when I try to apply the patches I get the following messages; "Neither command line parameter specified is an existing directory" and "You do not have the correct version of Black & White installed to use ". Only thing I've done after the install is add the creature unlocks and Village Banter. Have also tried running patches as admin. and no joy...Any and all help is more than welcome.

And figured out my mistake. Got it patched an running, fingers crossed all continues to go well. Matt, you're a legend for this fixes/patches. :)

Hello,

I've followed the installation guide and when I try and start the game I get an error message saying the following: "The program can't start because IFC22.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem".

Is there a quick fix that I can use that doesn't involve me reinstalling it?

EDIT - Nevermind, I've managed to fix it :)

Another question ( sorry...) ; Does anyone know if CI will also run with this setup or is it a WiP ?

Thank you for this post! This is my favorite game of all time and I was worried I'd never get it to work on Windows 10.

Having issues on sizing as well, how do I make the size fit my screen?
Also
I THINK I'm running as admin but not sure can anyone give more example on how to specifically use  runblack.exe when starting the game?
please and thank you!!!!!

Sparkle_Stache said:
Having issues on sizing as well, how do I make the size fit my screen?
Also
I THINK I'm running as admin but not sure can anyone give more example on how to specifically use  runblack.exe when starting the game?
please and thank you!!!!!

The original post says you should run it in admin mode. Compability mode is not recommended.
I can confirm that, works completely fine with these settings.

thanks for your work, i'm really happy to play this game again. but i have some kind of bug, some buildings look glitched and are hanging in the air/ground.

1FTpznf.jpg

i hope this screenshot helps. it's in land 3.

Hi, I'm just trying to run the game under windows 10 - at first it worked (version 1.1), but then on isle 3 I suddenly ran into these save game problems, so I tried installing the game again.
I installed patch 1.2 and now the game doesn't start at all.

I followed the installation instructions from this thread, but I couldn't install the fan patch because the download doesn't work. It just stops after 1 second or something.
Am I the only one with that problem?

Edit: Ok, seems like my virus scanner made the download fail. Maybe I should try something else then.

Um, but the description says that patch is only needed if you have a p5 glove.

I've installed the game again for now and with patch 1.100 (and modified exe), it starts.
Did you have the same problems or do you mean the fan patch? Someone here wrote that the game needs that to run properly after patching. But since I can't get this...

Yes the 1.3 patch is for glove users only although B&W can mostly run without the glove.
From memory...
1.1 game fixes
1.2 "clan patch" is mainly for MP but seems to be 99.9% OK for SP.

On a previous PC I installed B&W to an old flash drive  that I kept plugged into a spare USB port and it worker fine. The main thing to remember is to  install B&W almost anywhere but the default settings, as since the game came out Windows has changed.

Default B&W install with my patch on top should be all that's required to run the game as flawlessly as possible with no compatibility issues.

I wanted to try your patch, Handsome Matt, but I really can't get it to my pc. I've tried downloading from another machine where it was no problem and transfering via dropbox, but my virus scanner kills it while downloading (with different browsers and from different servers) - unlike e.g. a modified .exe I got elsewhere. It doesn't even show a message why it stopped the download.

I don't want to bug you about that, I respect your work, but for now I guess I'm stuck with version 1.00. But I wanted to leave that feedback / problem with the virus scanner here (it's avast), maybe this can help other players who also can't download your patch because of that. And who maybe are willing to deactivate their scanner for this.

Handsome Matt said:
Default B&W install with my patch on top should be all that's required to run the game as flawlessly as possible with no compatibility issues.

Handsome Matt,

Do you mean that I should be able to install patch 1.4 without first installing the 1.1 and 1.2 patches? Just install game, apply addons, then install the fan patch directly?

Also, is it normal for the Level of Detail (LoD) to be so poor? I have it set to Maximum Detail using your setup, and when I get more than a few feet from the villagers, they instantly change to the worst possible model. Is this normal? Is there anyway to modify this?

I have to be zoomed in almost completely to see the details of the villagers. When zooming out even a tiny amount, they transform into horrible little triangles with no detail.

Here's an image to show it:

mYKmT72.jpg

Back