Running Black & White on Windows 10

What do you mean when you say they aren't working? When you move the hand to the edge of the screen, it doesn't work? Does moving and picking things up work correctly?

If the mouse is working correctly, you should be able to zoom with the mouse wheel as well.

The mouse does work for moving and picking things up. When I move the hand to the edge of the screen, I can't rotate or pitch. It also doesn't zoom when I hold the left and right click anywhere on screen and move the mouse. It shows the in-game icon, but it doesn't do anything.

I tried re-installing the driver, and rotate, pitch, and zoom with mouse still don't work.

I had BW1 installed on a windows 7 machine and it worked perfectly.

Updated the patch, some misc fixes for crashing and you can now skip the tutorial from a fresh game install.

Really appreciate the tutorial on getting B&W to work on modern machines, I've finally completed Land 5, 13 years after I first played the game!

Unfortunately, Creature Isle isn't mentioned at all... I've installed it, but nothing happens upon launching it, could anyone offer some tips to get it working?

EDIT: Is it perhaps that I installed CI after installing/patching/playing B&W? Will I need to re-install?

wistful said:
Really appreciate the tutorial on getting B&W to work on modern machines, I've finally completed Land 5, 13 years after I first played the game!

Unfortunately, Creature Isle isn't mentioned at all... I've installed it, but nothing happens upon launching it, could anyone offer some tips to get it working?

EDIT: Is it perhaps that I installed CI after installing/patching/playing B&W? Will I need to re-install?

I haven't patched out Creature Isle yet, sorry to disappoint. You can get it running with a no-cd crack, but it might have some issues.

Thank you for taking the time to do this and respond to everyone.  For me, after scouring through the thread, I seem to have a unique problem.  I'm running a Surface Pro, Windows 10.  I followed your install perfectly, even did it twice just to be sure.  When I open the game I get sound and the intro video, but I cannot do anything, the mouse pointer doesn't even show up.  The intro video just plays and I have to use the task manager to exit.  Any thoughts?

I have a big problem with the installation and launch of the game. The game itself works correctly, the problem starts when I want to install patches, there are the above-mentioned problems, yesterday I reinstalled the system, the situation has not changed. After installing the fan patch LH stopped working. Here a request is made to place the contents of patch 1.10 and 1.20 as the contents of a fan patch, if possible. In addition, I must mention that I followed the instructions and suggestions contained in posts from this thread.

Regards Lovecraft

Lovecraft said:
I have a big problem with the installation and launch of the game. The game itself works correctly, the problem starts when I want to install patches, there are the above-mentioned problems, yesterday I reinstalled the system, the situation has not changed. After installing the fan patch LH stopped working. Here a request is made to place the contents of patch 1.10 and 1.20 as the contents of a fan patch, if possible. In addition, I must mention that I followed the instructions and suggestions contained in posts from this thread.

Regards Lovecraft

Not sure what you're trying to ask?

317bjn said:
Thank you for taking the time to do this and respond to everyone.  For me, after scouring through the thread, I seem to have a unique problem.  I'm running a Surface Pro, Windows 10.  I followed your install perfectly, even did it twice just to be sure.  When I open the game I get sound and the intro video, but I cannot do anything, the mouse pointer doesn't even show up.  The intro video just plays and I have to use the task manager to exit.  Any thoughts?

The Surface Pro has a really high DPI scaling that doesn't work well with old applications. I think if you right click it, go to properties -> compatibility, and then check the box that says something along the lines of "Disable DPI Scaling". Also make sure you set the resolution of the game to something under 1080p.

#Handsome Matt - I am very grateful for creating a fan patch.

Sorry for my rusty english, I meant to include the contents of patch 1.10 and 1.20 in your patch and I would be happy to hear advice if you came up with a new solution to the problem of game compatibility and patch installation, because I already used the above methods.

I got the installation running fine also on my new Win10 system.

Strangely, I have the feeling the game is still suffering from performance issues. (My stats:  Intel Core i7 8700K 8GB GTX 1080 Phoenix GLH
16GB (2x 8192MB) DDR4-3000 Win 10 Pro x64. The machine shouldn't have any problems with a 2001 game.) I'm playing in FullHD WS mode, and get a little "stuttery" movements when the camera is moving fast, also the short demo tutorials that take over the control of the "hand" seem shaky. Clearly to notice in the temple with these fast moving angles, too.

Do you experience any of this? Is this something code-related maybe? I couldn't find any current thread discussing this for Win10. Another site recommends Dgvoodoo, do you use or recommend any DirectX Wrappers like this for B&W?

Looking further into my performance issues, I noticed Vsync seems to be enabled by default in my fanpatched B&W. I'd like to experiment a bit with other modes provided by me gear, but I don't seem to be able to force other vsync modes through NVIDIA control panel.

Is there a way to change the overall graphical settings of B&W?

Hey there,

I installed the game like instructed and it runs fine so far. However I have problems with my screen resolution:

I set it to 1920x1080 in the setup, but my monitor does not show all of the game. There is a big part cut off on the right side and also on the bottom (part of the game are outside of my screen).
If I reduce the resolution in the settings, then the game windwo will be smaller, but still same part cut-off.

Any advice?

Thanks for the patch, after a long time trying to get the game to run I found your fanpatch which got it started. New problem though, when it starts to load it displays this message and closes

'lh has stopped working'

i'm not super technically minded and am persevering cause i bloody love this game, would someone be kind enough to share a solution to this?

thanks

Hello!  :help

I've been trying for two days to get my game running, tried all the fixes and tips all around the internet, also tried to follow this guide step by step ofc (though in the end of it I had to download and replace LHLogR.dll file because after patching, error message started popping up), but nothing works for me. I've checked secdrv thing, tried various tiers of patching (patching only to v1.1, only to v1.2 and so on), tried various combinations of compatibility settings, windowed mode as well as fullscreen, no-cd crack, clean reinstalled like milion times, I still can't get it running. At some points of my afforts all I could get was black screen for a minute or so and then nothing, back to the desktop, no error message, program just shuts down. Now, after following this installation guide, I only get an error message saying that lh program stopped working, no window, no black screen, just this crash and bye.

The thing is this is happening on my desktop PC - but on my laptop, I managed to get the game running with no extra effort, no patches, nothing. Both machines have the same OS (Win7 Ultimate 64bit). Laptop has a slightly better HW than desktop but I don't assume the HW on desktop could be so bad to not handle such an old game.
But just to be sure, here go the main specifications briefly:

Processor: AMD Athlon II X4 645 3.10GHz
RAM: 4,00 GB
Graphic card: NVIDIA GeForce 150
(yeh, that's pretty crappy one, I know, but should suffice more than well for BW, I'm playing graphically and overall much more advanced games with this little stinker :D )

Please if anyone could give me some insight on what to do or what to try that I haven't tried yet, I'm no technical genius but I desperately love the game. If I won't find the way to get it working on my desktop, the only option left is to connect the monitor, keyboard and mouse to the laptop (because playing it on small laptop screen is pretty annoying, not mentioning the inconveniences of touchpad).

:help

Back