Running Black & White on Windows 10

Does this happen on a specific land? I'm really struggling to recreate it.

Handsome Matt said:

I can't get off of the first land :( since saving a second time will cause the game to crash. I've disabled autosave as that also caused the game to crash whenever a scroll was completed.

The game will also crash on exit, due to it trying to save.

MacH said:
I can't get off of the first land :( since saving a second time will cause the game to crash. I've disabled autosave as that also caused the game to crash whenever a scroll was completed.

The game will also crash on exit, due to it trying to save.

Could you try installing the game to somewhere like: D:/Games/Black and seeing if the bug still persists. The game is known to dislike spaces in directories and permissions and stuff.

Handsome Matt said:

Can I recreate your setup, e.g. install to exactly same drive letter, path, get a copy of your profiles folder, registry entry? I could try and do the reverse if you think it would work.

As I mentioned earlier, the same error happens on my SurfaceBook (so it's not hardware/software related) although both machines are running Windows 10 Creator update.

Handsome Matt said:
Could you try installing the game to somewhere like: D:/Games/Black and seeing if the bug still persists. The game is known to dislike spaces in directories and permissions and stuff.

Yes I've done that too, although I will try once more..

Game installed to D:\Games\Black

Thought everything was going fine, game allowed me to save three times, auto save working, it even saved on exit.

However, when i started the game back up again, the first time I saved... it crashed. I can no longer save to this 'profile'.

If I try to create a new profile, and then click new game it also crashed :(

There is ONE big issue with all these files. Most Anti-Virus programs, Norton, Avast, Windows Defender, Windows Security Essentials and so on, read almost every file as a virus, malware or otherwise. Bit annoying. To keep them intact and undeleted I've had to store them all in zip files. Otherwise, I LOVE YOU GUYS THAT MADE THIS ALL POSSIBLE!

I do miss having the game in Swedish Language, but I can technically fix that, but that means less addons I think, unless none of the patches have any spoken language, then I may be fine. I can just reinstall otherwise.

As for Swedish Language, I managed to save the installed files from the old computer I had when I first played this game ON ITS RELEASE, LionHead had a studio in Sweden and they re-recorded every line in Swedish. So glad I still have it all saved! If there is anyone that wants it in Swedish though, bear in mind - it is not just the text and spoken words, IT IS THE ENTIRE INSTALLATION FOLDER. I still don't know how to separate any of it. Need help with it.

hi im having trouble with changing the keyboard controls,i can change them but they revert to default again afterwards
ive got  the game patched to v1.4

Hi guys, hi matt,

this problem was already mentioned by some other people but there is still no fix to this:

I have the problem that i installed the game via an .iso file (since my CD is unfortunately scratched and won't read anymore).

I followed all the instructions and game is starting without error (version 1.40 beta4 or something).
But after the into cinematics the loading screen shows up, the progress bar doesn't change and game simply closes. there is no error or anything but the game just stops and sends me back to desktop.
running it as admin and as told here.

funny part: I also installed the creature island addon and it's working perfectly fine (no problems with save/loading or anything else). Just really wish to also play the base game before.

If you have any advices, please help me!

Thanks and greetings

Fiatil said:
Well hooray.  I managed to fix it by installing all of the patches in order -- I guess I misread somewhere back that you only needed to use 1.4
Tried everything, new install path to just c:/BnW, ran as admin after fresh installs, changed res around...and then saw this...did everything again but patched 1.1 / 1.2 then 1.4 and bam...no more .exe has stopped working, made it passed the loading screen it was crashing at. Hope others see this post as well.

i believe the issue could be caused by the following bugs that are issued below:

- Save game (some drives are protected by the default windows, it happens Windows 7/8/10)
- an error when the game tries to write out the code in /Profiles/N.A.M.E/Save Games/.SAV files

a lot of issues i have found alongside coding maps from just text is sometimes the codes have issues reading and writing to the game or the Main Core PC drive (C:\) I recommend you enable Autosave and simply wait for it to save. If it crashes, theres something on the map that might not be correctly functioning (E.G a script malfuctionning to it being enabled and not completed)

i await for more information  :)

Just a quick tip regarding the "An installation support file could not be installed. Catastrophic failure." error when trying to install. I encountered it when attempting to reinstall B&W in another directory. After tearing the registry apart for hours with no success, I discovered that Installshield puts a copy of the setup installer into "Program Files(x86)/InstallShield Installation Information" (you may have to check for hidden folders). Deleting the content in this folder cleared the error for me and I could install from the cd again.

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can help me. I've pulled out my copy of B&W, and I've followed the installation instructions here, but I've encountered a problem where the game will periodically freeze fairly regularly. At the beginning loading screen, and around every 5-10 minutes the game will freeze for a few minutes. It's a bit irritating as everything else is running smoothly. Does anyone have any solution to this?

Update: The game can also crash when loading a game for a few minutes, and if i've been playing for a while, it will crash at the vortex

I've been playing the game for awhile now with all of your patches. Its runs beautifully. Even got a proper full screen setup after some tinkering. However, I noticed that saving works as normal but as soon as I leave the temple , the save portrait vanishes. The weird thing is though, the save scroll at the front of the room records how many times you save and load, and it's showing the right number of times my game has been saved. But it doesnt seem to read save data at all once i leave the building.
Checked the files too, they dont show up at all.
Any thoughts?  :help  :sorry

Edit: If i turn the game back on it brings me to right before the temple is finished. Seems like thats the only save it has and uses.

A quick question, just got BW1 and 2 running again on the pc (1 actually runs better than 2 suprisingly  :happytears:) but upon trying to install Creature Isle, i get the permissions error that i know was caused by the windows security update. I saw a post a while back about you possibly patching Creature Isle, is there a chance you already did and im just horrible at navigating the forum for it?

Anymajordude said:
Just a quick tip regarding the "An installation support file could not be installed. Catastrophic failure." error when trying to install. I encountered it when attempting to reinstall B&W in another directory. After tearing the registry apart for hours with no success, I discovered that Installshield puts a copy of the setup installer into "Program Files(x86)/InstallShield Installation Information" (you may have to check for hidden folders). Deleting the content in this folder cleared the error for me and I could install from the cd again.
I have exactly this error. Although I found the "Program Files(x86)/InstallShield Installation Information" directory, I have several sub-directories in it, all of which have different setup.exe (and associated) files in them. How do I determine which to delete - or would it be safe/ok to delete all of them? Please let me know.

Just wanted to report that this patch is working for me so far, thanks.

I was getting the 'lh has stopped working' error at first, but after reinstalling the game to my system drive rather than my separate game drive fixed the issues I was having with the patch installs. So if anyone is having that issue, try installing to the system drive. I installed to C:\Black&White and everything seems to be working for me. (I removed the spaces at the advice of another post in this thread, it may not be necessary.)

EDIT: My brother installed and got the game working in C:\Games\Black & White so it doesn't need to be in the root of the system drive and spaces are fine.

Hi

After following the instructions maticlously, including deleting the required registry. I still have a few problems. I have installed everything using run as administrator, I have tried both the system drive and a different drive, ran the game in admin but I still can not get the game to work without compatability mode, with which it will work from Xp service pack 3 and upwards. When the game does load up the version number is stated as v1.00 on the loading screen. Furthermore the creature unlocks do not work and when I check the registry, the b&w key reg is missing. So I am not even sure the patches installed correctly. I installed each patch from 1.1, 1.2 and 1.4 fan patch as administrator. I love this game so I want to make sure everything is running as intended. I have done full uninstalls and every trouble shoot I can see in all the previous replies. I am on windows 10

[Solved]

Hi all I started the game in the lowest resolution and it worked with v1.04 and the new creatures. I have an ultrawide screen so perhaps this size and type of monitor caused problems. I will expertiment slowly going up in resolution but I am very happy now. Thanks for the great work.

Confirmed it works up to resolution of 1920 x 1080, the resoulution I can select is resolution 2560 by 1080 and higher! Might be useful to put that in the guide in case others are using Ultra wide monitor. Looks so amazing even at 1920! even for an old game.

To anyone who has trouble with the save game, simply access the Black and White folder where you have installed it, and give the 'Profile' folder - full access to everyone.
Also, make sure to go to 'runblack' (.exe) properties, compatibility and check "Run as Administrator".
This will work but will erase any progress you've made; which is not much if you are encountering the save game issue.

You know this'll work when in the 'Profile' folder, a folder bearing the name you chose as a god appears.

Good luck!

So, This is my first post here.

I ran into an issue. The zoom, pitch, and rotate with mouse aren't working.
I'm running Windows 10 Pro Build 16299, I installed Patches 1.1, 1.2, and 1.4 (Fan Patch).
My mouse is a Kensington Expert Mouse Wired Trackball with the Kensington TrackballWorks 1.3.1 driver. Can you, Handsome Matt, fix the problem?
Also, I think it'd be pretty cool if you could use the scroll wheel to zoom.

Back