Running Black & White on Windows 10

I've got absolutely no music in my game. Everything else is perfect, the audio file hasn't gone anywhere. And ideas?

About details in the game all the game DATA is less than 240 meg. The level of detail was good enough for an average PC in 2001.
Just to put it into perspective a modern game DATA can have 24 GB or more.
That's 240 v 24,000 or B&W1 has only 1% of the graphics detail of a modern game.

Thanks for the awesome work, Handsome Matt! I played the original game on Windows 10, not without problems, but at least I still can do it after 15 years!

By any chance, would you make the same patch for the Creature Isle addon? I can run it, but it looks awful because of the low-resolution textures problem.

The Patch Works Great Matt!!!! It looks like you have put a lot of hard work into this.......although i am running this game on a windows 10 machine and with your patch installed and your instructions followed down to the finest detail......i still need to run it in compatibility mode and i am noticing that creatue tooltips are not showing up and the in game options seem to not work very much any ideas???

Trying to install this on my PC, and everythig works fine... THen copying the entire folder to my girlfriends machine, and her brothers... Her brother cn run it fine, but hers not... just turns out to a big black screen of nothingness...

I then tried to instll it the normal way. but nothing...

any ideas?

I know this thread is old but hoping to get some help...first off, thank you so much! I actually wreaked my original copy of B&W trying to get it to work. I luckily had back ups. The thing I needed the whole time was that fan patch. You're my savior!
Now the issue is although B&W works fine, Creature Isle won't start up at all. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Nevermind, figured it out from the other thread...really glad I found this place

I am stuck at land 2, just three more lands of Lethys but I can not save anymore, Runtime Error C++ keep apprearing any time I save in any kind... I am using Windows 10 64-bit, GTX 750 and have tried everything I could find on the Internet but no work... I have lost my creature stats due to the effort to reinstall and I just kept the copy of Profile folder. I am desperated now, ahihi, huhu.

Edited: my mistake, I use hack so it was corrupted. I'm beating the game now.

So I have the Deluxe version of the game so I don't need to patch ( it comes with both patches) but the problems is that when I start the game it seems to crash when its loading in. It says lh has stopped working. I'm not sure what I did wrong but nothing seems to be working.

Cured_Madness said:
So I have the Deluxe version of the game so I don't need to patch ( it comes with both patches) but the problems is that when I start the game it seems to crash when its loading in. It says lh has stopped working. I'm not sure what I did wrong but nothing seems to be working.

download the fan patch in the op

Handsome Matt said:
Other troubles?

If you're still having issues there's always this patch from an unknown source I have no experience with it and I don't exactly like the guy hosting it, but if it works for you go for it.

Running on Mac?

Good luck!

I have installed all the patches as shown above for B&W1 on Win10.
The game started OK but wouldn't save. As soon as I left the temple, and return, all the save pictures are blank again.

remedy:
1. play as administrator (mark the tag in the shortcut properties button)
2. If that doesn't solve the problem, navigate to the B&W installation folder in your programs folder.
right-click on the B&W folder.
Click properties.
Click the security tab.
Highlight each listed user and make sure they have full control of the folder.
If that is not the case, click the advanced button and change the permissions to allow full control.
That resolved the problem for me and I can finally play this game again.

Thank you for the fan patch.

BTW: how do I change user name that it isn't my email? Tx

Everything working fine for me on Windows 10, my only problem is that it seems the LOD is not updating, cliffs are staying on the lowest LOD even when close up, they are not smooth. Maximum detail is set.

Hello! I was able to use your guide to get B&W working on my laptop and until yesterday the game has been working almost perfectly. After doing a lot of prep (food, wood and miracles) I'm ready to move to the next world and the portal isn't there... They say "throw something in" and not only is there no portal visually but you also can't put anything through it... So at this point I can't move further in the game. Any ideas?

~Jenny

I have a question,
how/where can I delete the registery keys?
I have no clue...

I'm assuming this tutorial does not require the CD to play the game since you copy the music files directly over? Or do I need a no-cd patch as well?

if it doesn't work after the 1.2/1.3 patch, you need the no cd patch. if no music plays ingame, you can copy over the audio directory from your cd in your b&w directory.

Threat said:
I'm assuming this tutorial does not require the CD to play the game since you copy the music files directly over? Or do I need a no-cd patch as well?

The fan patch is also a no cd patch since the ability to verify the game installation via CD broke in Windows 8 making a no cd patch a requirement to run the game. You need to copy the audio folder over if you do not play the game with the CD inserted.

Back