Running Black & White on Windows 10

This update works like a dream to get Black and White to work on my PC, but I’m having issues running Creature Isle. Is does this fan patch apply only to vanilla Black and White?

This guide works amazing to get Black and White Vanilla running on my Windows 8. But I’m having issues getting Creature Isle to run.

Mortise said:
Hi there, my problem is with the installation of the patches. I have the game installed in C:\Games\Black & White and when I try to apply the patches I get the following messages; "Neither command line parameter specified is an existing directory" and "You do not have the correct version of Black & White installed to use ". Only thing I've done after the install is add the creature unlocks and Village Banter. Have also tried running patches as admin. and no joy...Any and all help is more than welcome.

And figured out my mistake. Got it patched an running, fingers crossed all continues to go well. Matt, you're a legend for this fixes/patches. :)

I realise that this is going back 3 years now but I am having the exact same problem and nothing I try is fixing it.

I am able to bypass the official patches and install 1.4 but the game executable stops working just as the first loading screen appears (the one with the parents and child on their way to the beach)

Mortise are you still around? If so, how did you manage to fix it? Otherwise, has anyone else encountered this problem?

Edit: Never mind, I ran CCleaner's registry cleaner after all my failed attempts!  Then I followed the advice of Sylcai elsewhere and renamed the install folder to contain no spaces or symbols and it all worked fine!

the game stops working when the loading screen apear (the bar does not move). And that after updating by fanpatch 1.41, without patch game work, but this is not the same. Patch 1.1 and 1.2 still don't work for me ;( (windows 10 64bit).

Help Handsome guy!

Edit1:
https://zapodaj.net/images/0ecb508f16bc6.jpg - screen of instal fail log

and next window is not in english so i can translate to english: the installed black & white version is not suitable for running this patch.

Edit2:
without patch 1.41 game work just fine, after installing patching crush appear

Edit3:
i was trying instal b&w on gf and friend laptop + another pc, following instructions... the same result. Something goes wrong with patch 1.1, 1.2 and 1.41. Again ctd on loading screen with trying another instal variations.

Should this patch fix short draw distances? If not, would another unofficial patch that does be compatible with this?

So when I tried to apply the first patch I got an "An Installation support file could not be found. Catastrophic Failure." error message. I figured I should uninstall the game, delete the reg's and reinstall... but now get the same error when I try to uninstall! so I deleted the files from Program Files (x86)... but now I can't even reinstall, uninstall, anything! I just keep getting the same error.

EDIT: I fixed it! If anyone else gets this problem, just delete the files in C:\Program Files (x86)\InstallShield Installation Information

Leviathan said:
So when I tried to apply the first patch I got an "An Installation support file could not be found. Catastrophic Failure." error message. I figured I should uninstall the game, delete the reg's and reinstall... but now get the same error when I try to uninstall! so I deleted the files from Program Files (x86)... but now I can't even reinstall, uninstall, anything! I just keep getting the same error.

EDIT: I fixed it! If anyone else gets this problem, just delete the files in C:\Program Files (x86)\InstallShield Installation Information

after removing C:\Program Files (x86)\InstallShield Installation Information my laptop say that b&w is not installed

Lovecraft said:
after removing C:\Program Files (x86)\InstallShield Installation Information my laptop say that b&w is not installed

You might have to go to where you have b&w installed (most likely C:\Program Files (x86)\Lionhead Studios Ltd\Black & White if you're using Windows 10) and delete those files and then reinstall from scratch.

I hope that helps.

Leviathan said:
You might have to go to where you have b&w installed (most likely C:\Program Files (x86)\Lionhead Studios Ltd\Black & White if you're using Windows 10) and delete those files and then reinstall from scratch.

I hope that helps.

fixed, but still patch 1.10, 1.20 don't work and 1.41 make ctd on loading screen...

Lovecraft said:
fixed, but still patch 1.10, 1.20 don't work and 1.41 make ctd on loading screen...

Have you run the patches as admin and have you deleted these in regedit?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Lionhead Studios Ltd\Black and White Clan Patch
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Lionhead Studios Ltd\Black and White Patch

Leviathan said:
Have you run the patches as admin and have you deleted these in regedit?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Lionhead Studios Ltd\Black and White Clan Patch
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Lionhead Studios Ltd\Black and White Patch

of course mate :) i follow guide, read every post in BW1 on Windows 7/8/10 but still patches 1.10, 1.20 don't match and 1.41 make ctd ;P in my home i got 3 laptops and pc, try it on every one with same result.

Edit1:
i m from Poland, and i also follow this guide on game in polish/english variations.

I thought so. Sorry I can't think of anything else that could be causing the problem :(

no clues here, i need to admit im helpless at this point...

my game work on version 1.0 with crack and BaW_Patch_2 to fix some low graphic issues. But i get mad with "death" spam without patches, and much else not fixed stuff.

Lovecraft said:
no clues here, i need to admit im helpless at this point...

my game work on version 1.0 with crack and BaW_Patch_2 to fix some low graphic issues. But i get mad with "death" spam without patches, and much else not fixed stuff.

1.41 won't work without 1.1 and 1.2 being installed prior. You need to be able to install those patches in order for it to work.

I think the issue is your installation media of the game, is it a disc from a non English country? You could try sourcing an English version of the game from somewhere online, it'll probably solve everything.

i follow this guide on game in polish/english variations... i use original version in english, downloaded in english and polish at last cuz nothing work.

I do not know how to make these patches installed. In windows 8.1 (64bit), 7(64bit) and xp(32bit) everything worked normally both in english and polish version of game, something went wrong with windows 10 (64bit)

Edit1:

C: \ Program Files (x86) \ InstallShield Installation Information where setup file is a configuration file. Has anyone who patches successively patched what it contains in the file? in my case it's:
[Startup]
AppName=Black & White
Engine=0
Copy=1
Source=0
[Languages]
Default=0x0015
count=1
key0=0x0015

Leviathan said:

I had a very similar problem, it said "An installation support file could not be installed."

Yet I cannot find the InstallShield Installation Information in C: anywhere. Any clue on how to solve this? I could install the game once, but couldn't install the patches and cannot reinstall after uninstalling. I've cleaned the registry manually by removing all Lionhead Studios entries as well as run ccleaner just in case. I'm out of ideas at this point.

Ran through every install option.  Went as far as installing it on XP then copying the game files over.  Every time I get the same error, as soon as the load screen appears, the game crashes to the desktop without any error or dialog box saying what went wrong.  Using the 1.41 fan patch, game says 1.00 when loading though just before it crashes.
Not really sure what to do beyond just playing it in a VM at this point.

Handsome Matt said:
I think the issue is your installation media of the game, is it a disc from a non English country?
I registered specifically to share my gratitude. Your patch and manual produced the only attempt out of 10 that has resulted in a working widescreen game with max details on Windows 10. My 5 year old loves to play with the creature, so you have enabled some joyous moments for her.

I've used files from this russian website with zero issues so far. The linked page hosts the original CD, relevant patches and all the addons. Consider integrating the links into your manual.

Thank you.

I installed the game as an Administrator from an ISO (English).

I then installed the following (as an Administrator):

Black_White_Patch_v1.100.exe
black_white_patch_v1_20.exe
BWFanPatchInstaller.exe
BW_Football_Addon.exe
BW_Villager_Banter.exe
creaturecd_gorilla.exe
creaturecd_horse.exe
creaturecd_leopard.exe
creaturecd_mandrill.exe

I copied the Audio folder over from the ISO.

I ran Setup.exe (Administrator) and changed the resolution and clicked Save & Quit.

I tried runblack.exe (Administrator) and a fullscreen black box appears but closes again after a second or two.

I would assume I need to crack the game executable but I'm unsure if there's a crack for the v1.41 fan patch.

Intel Core i7-8700K
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080
Windows 10 v1903 (May 2019 Update) x64

Any ideas?

Try doing just: Black_White_Patch_v1.100.exe, black_white_patch_v1_20.exe, BWFanPatchInstaller.exe

And try running in Windowed mode, could help. Fan patch does include a NoCD patch too so no need to crack.

Back