Running Black & White on Windows 10

Did anyone ever come up with a fix for the game files not saving and if we can recover the save? I was playing for hours and I come to load it back up and it goes straight into the tutorial at the beginning. I’m absolutely devastated!

If anyone is having issues with the native screen resolution not fitting the screen properly (e.g. trying to use a 1920x1080 screen resolution when that's your native screen resolution, and half the image not appearing on the screen) - on Windows 10/11 there's a 'scaling' option in Display Settings which seems to impact it.
I haven't looked into a way to change this only on the one game, but I'm sure it's possible - for a quick win, use this:
View attachment 7515
Edit the exe. properties. There is an override for desktop scaling.

Did anyone ever come up with a fix for the game files not saving and if we can recover the save? I was playing for hours and I come to load it back up and it goes straight into the tutorial at the beginning. I’m absolutely devastated!
Yeah I found it seems to work if you run the game as admin.
I suspect that means it’s trying to save to a folder it doesn’t have permissions to save to, so there’s probably a better fix if that can be figured out…

One of the recomendations is not to install into the program files folder. Install it in a folder like GAME, or like it. I installed straight on C: in a folder named Black and white.

Also see this:

Game works brilliantly! thank you :)
Just wondering however, I really liked using the unlimited food and wood trick but it doesn't seem to be available anymore.
Is is possible to get the game working on windows 10/11 without the patches?

I want to be sure I install it correctly this time, so I wanted to ask - should I install Creature Isle before applying the patches, or does it matter? I know you didn't mention it, you just said use the Setup.exe but I presume you meant for the base game.

I want to be sure I install it correctly this time, so I wanted to ask - should I install Creature Isle before applying the patches, or does it matter? I know you didn't mention it, you just said use the Setup.exe but I presume you meant for the base game.
Nevermind! I'm sorry, I found the Creature Isle patch in the Downloads section, sorry I didn't look there first!

Back