Running Black & White 2 on Windows 10

Thank you for your response. It seems like the saves in the playground level are ok, only in skirmish mode the most of my saves are broken.

Hello,

I'm back again! Now with greater need in quarantine. Black and White 2 works fine, but not Battle of The Gods. Do I have to install all the fan patches into Battle of The Gods folder, or only the one that it specifically calls for?

Basically, I'll click on the shortcut, and it'll launch for less than a second and have a window before crashing. Same if I run as admin.

Specs:
Windows 10
Processor: Intel (R) Core(TM)  i-7300HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz  2.50Ghz
RAM: 8.00 GB (7.87 usable)
System type: 64-bit OS

Any help? Thank you!

Hi there,

I recently found my old copy of Black & White 2 and I was super jazzed to play it, but I'm having a major issue. I've downloaded patches 1.1, 1.2, and the 1.4 fan patch, and that got the game to run on my Windows 10 machine, but I can't get past a few cutscenes without the game crashing my whole computer. I've tried it a few times now with different settings but the furthest I've gotten is choosing the creature before my computer just restarts itself. This is super annoying for many reasons, so if someone knows how to fix this, I'd be grateful.

Specs:
Windows 10
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4440 CPU @ 3.10GHz  3.10 GHz
RAM: 8.00 GB
System type: 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor

Crashing your computer indicates that this issue comes from your computer rather than game itself, I suggest you to check your temps and see If its overheats.

I hope someone can help me with this problem, it doesn't seem like a common one (any time I've seen something like it it has been rare and no one seems to fix it) I've had no real issues with getting the game to run (patches and no cd patch have worked fine to run on Windows 10) but i have 2 massive problems making my game unplayable (just B&W2, haven't tried BoTG) as well as 1 annoyance. I have the physical copy and have tryed uninstalling and reinstalling several times as well as trying a download of the game but have had these same problems each and every time (including the aonnying one).
First off I can't save, i go to save, make a file and click save, there's no file, no load option available (it's there but i can't select it) meaning every time i end my game there's nothing to load back on, i can "save" 100 times and no matter what i can't load up or continue a game
Problem 2, this ties into why it's unplayable for me, i can play and get as far as the end of the tutorial (the first island where you get how to win and tutorialed on creatures) but it crashes every time when it's loading into the next island meaning I'm stuck at what feels like a demo's end (most save problems i see are on island 4, can't even get that far), and as for the minor annoyance, no mater what creature i select it doesn't stick, unless i select the lion, I've selected the wolf, had the wolf on that tutorial island where you select it, see the wolf on the altar of the intro (the saving the greek from the aztec) but as soon as I get the the next island my creature is a lion, not the wolf i selected.
Plz help i love this game and have been badly wanting to play it again
Edit: ok i fixed the saving bug, idk how, but the crash to the next island and my creature defaulting to lion are still there.

alright, I got it running! Sort of. I've got everything in the same folder and it's working, at least with regards to the BW2 - I've got the tiger, which wasn't a thing before. So the thing seems to be communicating. But I tried to actually play Battle of the Gods, and it gets about 5 seconds in before the application crashes. I have the fan patch for it, and I've tried messing with the BoTG.exee file and going to properties, then running it in various compatibility modes, which doesn't change anything. I don't have any knowledge on how to change what graphics processor it uses, and the whole thing is a bit daunting tbh.

Any ideas? Thank you!

ive installed patch 1.1 and 1.2 , i got to land 7 (1 before the last land, maybe be 6) and then after several minutes into the game. its crashes to the desktop. i tried patch 1.4 same thing. tried reinstalling it on a laptop and another pc. reinstalled drivers, every version of compatibility mode. cant under stand how i played all way though game then its un playable. if i replay the land it does not crash, but once i get to the same stage before capturing the land aztec town it starts to crash again. seems like i will never get to the last land

btw
ryzen 3700 cpu,no overlock, 32 gb 3200mhz ram, msi wifi ac carbon mobo b450. windows 10 64bit, 5700xt

also tried
on nividia 650, 5650 xeon chip, 12 gb 1600 mhz ram

and laptop with 3rd gen graphics, i5 25xx cpu.

no dice.

is it the version of windows 10???? version 2004 . 20180.1000

(Posted a thread here: https://www.bwfiles.com/forum/index.php?topic=8315.0 )

I hate to be that guy.
Coming here with a question like this. But I don't know here else to look.
I recently created an account here for this question alone as I believe this is my only hope. I have posted this question elsewhere too, but I noticed this might be my only option. It seems that the community here is slow, and I can expect to wait weeks for answers. But I take my chances.

So, Black and White 2 is considered abandon-ware and can be downloaded on the net for free on myabandonware.com.
I have no CD reader on my rig and as such I need to get things digitally.

I got Black and White 2 and I ran into issues. First, during installation, Land 5 is skipped, so when loading into Land 5 transition it crashes utterly and I can not proceed. Second, Speech.lug error occurs during installation. No idea what it is or what happens if you don't have it.

I run on a Windows 10 64-bit system. Not sure what else to add.
I have installed it on multiple locations, in D drive, C drive original path or on the desktop. No dice.
I tried installing in compatibility mode XP SP3 with administration privileges. No dice.

Anyone can help? I have noticed people have similar issues here, so I hope I might be there one who get's it to work.

Good evening,

I'm new to the forum. I would have a problem. I have installed the game on Windows 10 and it gives me a problem when I try to start it. It tells me that I should log in with administrator privileges, I tried to do it by pressing the right mouse button (log in as administrator) but it still doesn't work. I went into the game properties, clicked on Compatibility and clicked choosing Windows 7 but it still doesn't work. Finally I installed the 3 patches you indicated but nothing does not start the game. I don't know how to do it, can you help me? Thanks in advance

Sorry for my english

Hello!

I have a problem in black and white 2. i played 3 levels without my population growing. That's because I feed an average of 300-400 children at each level, who of course don't work for their food. Unfortunately, the children don't like growing up and working, so they prefer to stay one year old for a lifetime.

i have the cd version but it does not work on windows 10. so i try to find a working version without having to buy the game again. so i found a working version of the game but i think it's cracked or edited in some other way. it starts anyway without a cd, which is why the no cd fix does not work. the patches given on page 1 of this forum don't give you an option to choose the file path, which is why the installer can't find the game. I want to finally be able to play bw2 again! i only doubt i will pass all levels by 50 adults.

Also having the issue of population not aging and I've installed all the patches, done a fresh install and reinstalled all the patches but cant get it to work

Also having the issue of population not aging and I've installed all the patches, done a fresh install and reinstalled all the patches but cant get it to work
After installing two official patches (patch 1.1 and 1.2) do NOT install any cracked or custom exe, instead directly install fan patch from this site. (just make sure you properly install all the patches) Then your villagers should grow once you start a new game.

After installing two official patches (patch 1.1 and 1.2) do NOT install any cracked or custom exe, instead directly install fan patch from this site. (just make sure you properly install all the patches) Then your villagers should grow once you start a new game.
Oh right thank you, I was following the (Outdated I guess) guide on myabandonware, I will give it another go in the morning, thanks for the assistance.

Yes! Its working, villagers are aging properly and even the audio is playing back correctly.
For anyone trying to get it working but is getting caught up following the old guide on Myabandonware I will share what I did to get it working.

Install guide working 2021
  1. Download the B&W2 iso from Myabandonware and save it in a new folder you wont forget
  2. Unpack the iso with winrar or something of the like
  3. If you want to install black and white to a specific folder/drive then create that folder in the location you want now, by default the game will install to: C:\Program Files (x86)\Lionhead Studios\Black & White 2
  4. Go to where you unpacked the ISO and right click "setup.exe" and run as admin (please note that the installer seems to skip installing land 5 but I can not confirm if that is an issue or not as I am not that far yet) (Also I got an error about failing to install a sound file but I clicked ignore and it has not been an issue thus far.
  5. Download all 3 patches and install them in order (1.1, 1.2, 1.42) Remember to run as admin to be safe and make sure each one is done installing before moving onto the next.
  6. Now the old guide says to mess around with swapping exes around but DO NOT DO THIS, it is outdated and no longer required, once the patches are installed you are finished, you can run the game from either the exe in the Black and white 2 folder or the installer should have created a desktop icon that also works, be warned though there will likely still be some issues
Fixes for various issues

If your sound is not synced correctly it is because your frame rate is too high, for Nvidia users you can,
open the Nvidia control panel>Manage 3d settings>Program settings tab>find black and white or add it>Scroll down to Max Frame Rate and set it to 60-90, I've tried 90 and the audio lines sometimes are very close together but my good and bad conscience are not interrupting each other anymore

Mouse is behaving strangely especially in the esc menu, this is due to B&W not being built with high polling rate mice in mind, some mice you can adjust the polling rate, for some Razer mice you can change it with Razer Synapse. No matter what mouse you use it needs a polling rate of 125hz max, most office mice will work fine if you can not adjust your own polling rate.

Villagers are not getting any older, This is an old Anti piracy system put in the game and is caused by cracking the exe, with the install method above there is no need to crack the exe so if you followed the instructions in this post the issue should be resolved (You will need to start a new game)

How can I tell if I did everything correctly?

You can figure out what is working and what is not pretty easy during the first land where you choose your pet, if you DO NOT see the tiger available to pick standing slightly behind the standard creatures then you did not install one of the patches correctly.

To see if your mouse polling rate is ok then just open the esc menu while in game and move your mouse around slowly, if it gets stuck or does not act like you would expect, your polling rate is too high.

If your FPS is too high then the good and bad conscience will be constantly interrupting each other during the intro.

If you need to check your villagers are aging simple make a few disciple breeders and a few homes and wait for a baby, open the villager overlay with the "S" key if the baby stays 1 year old for more than 10ish minutes then you're likely using a cracked exe and should follow the guide above instead. Alternatively you can just follow around around an existing villager with the overlay open and see if they get any older after a few minutes.

Thanks everyone that helped me get the game running, I will leave this here for anyone that wants to get the game running without wading through years of forum posts or trial and error, I have probably missed some bugs or other issues but the guide above will at least get the game running properly and I can say that it at least works upto land 4 because that's what I am on at the moment. I will update here if the installer skipping land 5 becomes an issue when I get there.

Yes! Its working, villagers are aging properly and even the audio is playing back correctly.
For anyone trying to get it working but is getting caught up following the old guide on Myabandonware I will share what I did to get it working.

1. Download the B&W2 iso from Myabandonware and save it in a new folder you wont forget
  3. If you want to install black and white to a specific folder/drive then create that folder in the location you want now, by default the game will install to: C:\Program Files (x86)\Lionhead Studios\Black & White 2
  4. Go to where you unpacked the ISO and right click "setup.exe" and run as admin (please note that the installer seems to skip installing land 5 but I can not confirm if that is an issue or not as I am not that far yet) (Also I got an error about failing to install a sound file but I clicked ignore and it has not been an issue thus far.
  5. Download all 3 patches and install them in order (1.1, 1.2, 1.42) Remember to run as admin to be safe and make sure each one is done installing before moving onto the next.
  6. Now the old guide says to mess around with swapping exes around but DO NOT DO THIS, it is outdated and no longer required, once the patches are installed you are finished, you can run the game from either the exe in the Black and white 2 folder or the installer should have created a desktop icon that also works, be warned though there will likely still be some issues
Fixes for various issues

If your sound is not synced correctly it is because your frame rate is too high, for Nvidia users you can,
open the Nvidia control panel>Manage 3d settings>Program settings tab>find black and white or add it>Scroll down to Max Frame Rate and set it to 60-90, I've tried 90 and the audio lines sometimes are very close together but my good and bad conscience are not interrupting each other anymore

Mouse is behaving strangely especially in the esc menu, this is due to B&W not being built with high polling rate mice in mind, some mice you can adjust the polling rate, for some Razer mice you can change it with Razer Synapse. No matter what mouse you use it needs a polling rate of 125hz max, most office mice will work fine if you can not adjust your own polling rate.

Villagers are not getting any older, This is an old Anti piracy system put in the game and is caused by cracking the exe, with the install method above there is no need to crack the exe so if you followed the instructions in this post the issue should be resolved (You will need to start a new game)

You can figure out what is working and what is not pretty easy during the first land where you choose your pet, if you DO NOT see the tiger available to pick standing slightly behind the standard creatures then you did not install one of the patches correctly.

To see if your mouse polling rate is ok then just open the esc menu while in game and move your mouse around slowly, if it gets stuck or does not act like you would expect, your polling rate is too high.

If your FPS is too high then the good and bad conscience will be constantly interrupting each other during the intro.

If you need to check your villagers are aging simple make a few disciple breeders and a few homes and wait for a baby, open the villager overlay with the "S" key if the baby stays 1 year old for more than 10ish minutes then you're likely using a cracked exe and should follow the guide above instead. Alternatively you can just follow around around an existing villager with the overlay open and see if they get any older after a few minutes.

Thanks everyone that helped me get the game running, I will leave this here for anyone that wants to get the game running without wading through years of forum posts or trial and error, I have probably missed some bugs or other issues but the guide above will at least get the game running properly and I can say that it at least works upto land 4 because that's what I am on at the moment. I will update here if the installer skipping land 5 becomes an issue when I get there.
I made an account just to reply to this. I followed all these tips (and it helped fixed my mouse issue, thanks) and have been having a blast playing... but unfortunately I got to land 5 and the game immediately just crashes/goes to desktop when trying to enter the world.

I click the gold scroll and confirm, then get my stats to look at for the level with a leave option. After selecting 'leave' I get the loading screen, it then gets to about 75% of the way through and crashes to desktop. I have played the whole of lvl 4 twice, and it happened both times. I also reinstalled the game from scratch. I've had no issues with the game until this moment - no crashes or anything.

I'm pretty sure that the installer skipping level 5 isn't good... I'm very sad that I can't keep playing :( Are there any ways we can find a fix for this?

Just to be clear by level 5 I mean Nagoyen with the Japanese (i.e. second Japanese brother).

Fixes for various issues

Heya i am completely new to this,

i found that amazing "install guide for B&W 2 and how to fix all those bugs/Glitches.
For that first of all a big thx!
I followed all the instructions downloaded the official patches and newest version of the Fan Patch but i still get by the third island
after an certian amount of playtime (mostly between 1-2hours) a crash and if i try to load the save game i will get another crash.

The crash report is saying
"Runtime Error!"
"Program D:\Games\LionHe~1\white.exe"
"This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in a unusual way."
Is there any way to solve this problem? It would be the only problem that i have with this game and i am also kinda frustrated because i found no real good solution for this problem.

Heya i am completely new to this,

i found that amazing "install guide for B&W 2 and how to fix all those bugs/Glitches.
For that first of all a big thx!
I followed all the instructions downloaded the official patches and newest version of the Fan Patch but i still get by the third island
after an certian amount of playtime (mostly between 1-2hours) a crash and if i try to load the save game i will get another crash.

The crash report is saying
"Runtime Error!"
"Program D:\Games\LionHe~1\white.exe"
"This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in a unusual way."
Is there any way to solve this problem? It would be the only problem that i have with this game and i am also kinda frustrated because i found no real good solution for this problem.
If you try to make a new game does it still crash on the third island (Also by the third island do you mean the Island before the one where you fight the norse chief or the second japanese island ?)

If you try to make a new game does it still crash on the third island (Also by the third island do you mean the Island before the one where you fight the norse chief or the second japanese island ?)
i tried more than just making one new game
i also tried to redownload it completely
and yes with that i meant the Chief Wiking Island

ALSO Update:
I somehow managed to get to the fourth island (first japanese island) with excessive saveing and loading and trying to understand how that mechanic works when you lose the save game and when not
But still i finished the third island and directly when you got to the loading screen from the third to the fourth it crashes.
so i saved before going in.(started my game new)
and it worked for like 30 min after that the same procedure as before excessive save and load and when it crashes and you cant load in again well...
DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN

Kinda frustrating >_<

Back