patch problems

Lux_Solaris

I recently reinstalled B&W and installed patch V1.1, but everytime I load the game I get deformed graphics and 4 out 5 times starting up the game crashes. I tried uninstalling the patch and it worked fine but after reinstalling the patch I had the same problem.

Is this for BW1?  ???

Have you tried the V1.20 patch?

If that doesn't work could you please post your system specs. Especially your graphics card and driver version.

Thanks. :)

Lux_Solaris said:
I recently reinstalled B&W and installed patch V1.1, but everytime I load the game I get deformed graphics and 4 out 5 times starting up the game crashes. I tried uninstalling the patch and it worked fine but after reinstalling the patch I had the same problem.

I've seen this happen before. All you need to do is go to START - RUN and type dxdiag. When the DirectX dialog appears click on the Video tab and disable AGP Texture Acceleration ( or something like that ). Someone like you has asked the same question and a moderator replied with this message and I am convinced that if you do this Black & White should work. Don't forgot after playing the game to re-enable it.

I tried the Daxter_06's fix after I got home (I don't have an internet connection at my house) and now I'm getting the same problem I had earlier.I should have given this before but my specs are:
2.8 GHZ Pentium D
128MB ATI HYPER MEM PCI-E X16 X300SE
1GB DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHZ
250GB SATA II at 7200 RPM
16X DVD-ROM and 16X DVD RW
Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2

In my opinion that was just a suggestion I heard somewhere else, however I do doubt the game even working with those specs.

The nVidia cards are noted for problems with B&W but seldom the ATI ones.

Which driver version do you have for that card?  (Start > Run, Type in dxdiag and click on the video tab)

I've always played B&W using the Radeon cards without a problem. I just got a new PC, which like yours, is PCIe rather than AGP and a X1900 graphics card. Since hadn't played B&W on it yet it I thought that might be the problem. So I loaded the game up and tried it unpatched, (damn tutorial) then with the V1.10 patch and then finally the V1.20 patch and my profiles. Everything worked as expected without any graphical problems or crashes.

Have you tried the V1.20 patch?

I don't know what the driver version is. I'll have to check and I did try patch V1.20 but the game crashed and a white dot appeared in the center of the screen on startup.

Driver Versions
DirectX: 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
Video Card: ati2dvag.dll

Thanks, you do have catalyst drivers. Maybe not the latest, but neither are mine.
I don't know if it will help but try downloading the latest drivers. Do uninstall the old drivers first and reboot before installing the new drivers. Or just reinstall the old drivers this way.

Maybe try re-downloading the patch in case it is corrupt or something.

What programs do you have running in the background?
Also, Are you starting new games or have you restored a backup that you are trying to play?

I'm kinda running out of ideas. Since I don't see why it would sort off run with the V1.10 patch and crash with the V1.20 patch.

Thanks, I'll see if updating my drivers and redownloading the V1.20 patch works. I am starting a new game. The V1.20 patch I downloaded and the V1.10 patch came with the game.[br][br]Added: Aug 30, 2006, 06:04 PM[br]Updating the drivers did not work and i have tried everything , so I uninstalled Black & White and decided it's a lost cause. Besides I found something better. Guild Wars. So this is my last post. (At least until I get Black & White 2 that is :) ) Farewell and thanks for your help.

Back