Of Gods and Mortals

KB89 said:
I get the feeling that production has slowed down.

I'm sorry but that's REALLY ignorant to say... the creator, after all, has a life just like any of us. If you're not supporting him with helping with the mod, at least have some slack to give him support by respecting his productivity, 'slow' or not. After all, you're not the one making anything, what do you know?

Anyway, the skyscrapper probably isn't worth it anyhow, the entire thing never seemed very plausible in the game, seemed a bit too 'out-of-style' in my opinion. I also wanted to ask, are you modding as a team? Thx.  :)

I suppose right now, it's really just me on the system design/scripting. I dont really have any "members" per say, a part from the those who have contributed to OGaM and the third-party work handsome matt has done.

Yeah I'm not your creative type, I'm more for working on tools that will help Daxter out. Been on vacation with the girlfriend for the past week so no progress :p

Alright so, let's talk belief system.

Belief System

Like the scaffolding system, this will be a near replica of the Black and White 1 system. Black and White 2 has had some changes that'll make implementing this system a little different, so you may notice some differing aspects of it. Like the scaffolding system, however, I'll try to make this as fun and simple as possible, here's some ideas to throw around for the moment.

• To regulate belief properly, each villager born in your town, will incrementally increase the size of your influence ring.
  • Upon reaching a town with your influence ring, performing miracles, using objects or the creature will have an impact on that town's view of your civilization.
  • Taking over towns with belief, could be a chance to reward the player with access to a new abode, similar to how towns in BnW1 gave access to its miracles.

The next thing I had an idea about was working with mod authors whom have created the alternate skins for the greeks (norse, japanese, aztecs). The idea I've had about this, is to release OGaM as a multi-story game, that will come with the skin of the tribe they want to play.

For example, if a player wants to play as the japanese, a japanese-specific story would be made along with it, which will run parallel with the other tribes, but will still come to the same story conclusion. Special note to this feature is that not all tribes will play out the same way as the greek story, so if anyone is looking to play the game a different way, that's the best way to do it.

• Greek story, will be the main focus of OGaM and will be the neutral in all 4 stories letting you play the game as it was designed.
  • Aztec story will be for people that prefer to have the war part of the game still intact.
  • Japanese story will focus on the building aspect of the game.
  • The norse story may focus on being the tribe story that lets the player influence other towns through unusual methods.

Finally, I would also like the chance to create a launcher program for OGaM, that combines the simplicity of installing each story mod, and then loading BnW2 after so all the player has to do is click "New Game" to play.

FunniestMonkey said:
I'm sorry but that's REALLY ignorant to say... the creator, after all, has a life just like any of us. If you're not supporting him with helping with the mod, at least have some slack to give him support by respecting his productivity, 'slow' or not. After all, you're not the one making anything, what do you know?

Yeah sorry about that. I skimmed over his previous posts before.

edit: Your post really rubbed me the wrong way, but I responded in a polite way because I felt guilty in some way - which now I don't believe I should have to the extent that I did. My post that you commented on was misunderstood by you. Daxter addressed me before you did so I don't think you have to take it to a whole new level by indirectly accusing me of having no respect for what he is doing. I think what he's doing is cool. On second thought, the mental image I took from your post was as if you felt like you were being disrespected. If Daxter feels "disrespected", upset, or hurt or whatever the hell YOU think HE feels then I apologize to him not to you, but he never did comment on how he felt about my post. I hate that I even have to write such a dramatic post to defend myself and I'm also sorry that I think of you as a self righteous bigot. Take all that with a grain of salt, because to be honest with anyone who reads this I don't know how to feel about your post or mine, because I that is how badly I don't want to stir the waters.

Just chillax everyone. It's fine, I don't take any criticism to heart because most of the time it's either a friendly reminder or feedback. Even negative feedback can be helpful if a particular thing is poorly done or in the common language "shyte".  :p

Let's just forget this deal and move along, there's more exciting stuff to be had.  :D

Well I'm following this project extremely closely (I check on it at least once per year) and I just want to say that it looks great and to keep up the good work!

JohnLukeG said:
Well I'm following this project extremely closely (I check on it at least once per year) and I just want to say that it looks great and to keep up the good work!

thankyou for your support, it means a lot, and good joke there  :D

I had a bit of a thought process with Scaffolding.

How would I incorporate the Epics into Scaffolds if the construction menu is going to be disabled? If anyone has any ideas as to how that can be done, let me know.

Perhaps you could have a separate scaffolding flag for military buildings (armouries, siege workshop, wonders)?

SkelApe said:
Perhaps you could have a separate scaffolding flag for military buildings (armouries, siege workshop, wonders)?

Possibly, but I feel like having too many flags, takes away the simplicity of the structure. I could, however, chuck buildings like that onto the smeltery using a flag instead of the lumbermill which can resolve that issue.

Thanks.

Also, OGaM is in a reasonably playable build, so there is a small chance, I could release a very early copy of the game, as a simple test run for other players to help catch any stability issues with the scaffolding system and God AI additions, cause I can't seem to locate the issues when they sometimes occur. Or maybe plug these systems into a custom map, to give a little end-game playability without expecting so much.

Daxter said:
Also, OGaM is in a reasonably playable build, so there is a small chance, I could release a very early copy of the game, as a simple test run for other players to help catch any stability issues with the scaffolding system and God AI additions, cause I can't seem to locate the issues when they sometimes occur. Or maybe plug these systems into a custom map, to give a little end-game playability without expecting so much.

Awesome! Make sure to post us a link!

Update: Just cleaning up and revising some code in existing scripts, to ensure they work better for the alpha release "soon". Still exploring the belief system but it's a little more difficult than anything else so far, again bear in mind, it's a major system so it'll take quite some time to develop (if possible) and thus updates about it will be slow.  :)

Daxter said:
Update: Just cleaning up and revising some code in existing scripts, to ensure they work better for the alpha release "soon". Still exploring the belief system but it's a little more difficult than anything else so far, again bear in mind, it's a major system so it'll take quite some time to develop (if possible) and thus updates about it will be slow.  :)

I've been caught up with other projects with work and stuff recently, but I managed to dump a complete list of functions available in Black and White 2 (and 1 and BoTG) which will probably include a lot of stuff Lionhead forgot to document; I'm not sure if any of them will help you but it's an interesting read regardless, such as the God AI stuff added to BoTG and the similarities between 1 and 2. Check it out here: http://bw.handsomematt.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Native_functions#Black_and_White_2

Yes, there's definitely some functions in there, I've never seen before. If you ever do get around to properly identifying and documenting the missing stuff, it could help solve some issues with lionhead's more complicated scripts *cough* Epics and platoon AI -_^

Well my decompiler is near enough done; I should have a few weeks free from work soon I'll try and finish it up then to identify those scripts.

Things are still on track for the moment, I don't have much else to report right now, but hopefully I can still push to release an alpha version assuming I can work out why the game has started crashing again.  Most likely cause is some code in the scaffolding system. Don't forget though that I plan to update every couple weeks with what's going on, so don't worry if all seems quiet between those time spans.  :)

Actually, if people are curious about what is going on currently. Apart from fixing the crashing problems, I'm also in process of creating some tutorials specifically for the upcoming alpha release for people to familiarize themselves with the current systems in place in OGaM. I'm hoping for this to be interactive, so it's taking some time to modify those systems to prioritize actions when these tutorials are running. There's also a possibility of adding a splash screen upon entering the game world, to relieve questions about what is in the current build and what to expect.

Back