Never thought Id ask this...

Daxter_06

So my black and white 2 game has shunned itself just as I was going to load it up to check over the ogam lands.

Every time I open it, it crashes with the old "could not create the 3d device" error.

DirectX: 9.0c Feb 2010
Latest Graphics Card drivers
Graphics Card: nVidia Geforce 9800GT 1GB

:upside

lol tried reinstalling the game and patching, checking driver versions for video card and stuff and nothing. Funny thing is that it was working couple weeks back.  :(

hmmm, it probably won't be any use, but for some reason two nights ago my AV picked up  white.exe as a potential threat having never done so before; might be worth trying it without AV turned on?

It might be something to do with having your landscape editor open at the same time? I don't think you can run them simultaneously.

Yea I already knew that, usually when BnW2 doesnt run, the landscape editor produces a similar error...but it doesnt.

"You are capable of DirectX 10, Luke."
"But, how...?"
"Believe in yourself, you must. And then go to http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/features/directx.aspx you must."

I'm not sure how much DirectX 10 would have to do with a game that uses DX9 and was running fine just a bit ago, though.

Unless...

Oh, god. Micro$oft hasn't found a way to DRM old games through DirectX, now, has he?! :p

When I first had Vista 64 I had the same error from day 1.  I left it installed and updated  Vista and the problem disappeared. Can't say exactly  which update did it but one did but it was about SP1 time.
I have upgraded my graphics card twice and can say that B&W2  works on DX 9c, 10 & 11.

I figured out the problem actually. I installed BoTG to test it out and it worked no problem and after figuring stuff out, I believe its the game disc causing the problems.

I had to do a fresh install and often when game discs become too dirty or scratched, it can have an effect on installation, corruping video files needed to run the game. So I may have to buy a new copy of the game before I can start on OGaM again. That may a little while due to funds from paying bills Zzzz.

Back