My creature won't learn to sleep at night *FIXED, Update in the original post*

Ades

Hi, it's the first time I ever encountered this problem and it (sort of) breaks into two questions I have. When I get my creature to sleep in its pen during the night and then reward it once it wakes up, the message always says "Your creature will sleep more when tired" instead of "Your creature will sleep more at night" like it used to everytime I did that to teach it to sleep at night (might not be the exact same messages because I'm playing the french version, but you know what I mean). Since I don't know any other way to teach my creature to sleep at night, except if it goes in its pen to sleep at night by itself (which never happens because it prefers doing benevolent things during the night) and then reward it, I've got two questions:

1: Is there another way to teach it to sleep at night, or should I say, a better way to trigger the "sleep more at night" instead of "sleep more when tired"?

2: Is it possible that it learns both to sleep more when tired and to sleep more at night but the only message that appears is the one saying it'll sleep more when tired?

I'm going to try and reward it at different times during its night-sleeping time to see if that works better because I'm out of ideas right now. I'll update this post if it worked. If anyone knows a way to fix this, thank you very much in advance  :)

*UPDATE* - I have found a (not frustrating) way to teach the cow creature to sleep at night at the beginning of the game. I wanted to find a way to teach any creature to sleep at night period at first, then fenton_pat brought in a solution that if you start the game by skipping all tutorials and pick the ape, the first thing it will do is sleep in its pen and since it's still night at that time, rewarding it when it wakes up will reward it for sleeping at night instead of sleeping when tired. I later found out that the tiger does that as well but not the cow, so I wanted to find a solution, that would not require any other program nor require someone to alt+tab or play in the game's directory or registry, to make the cow creature to sleep at night at the very beginning or at least within the first day of game-time.

I've tried many things, in story mode and in the extreme growth map (since it's always nighttime in this map). I tried forcing him in its pen before the day, didn't work. I tried bringing him in its pen at the next dusk and pet him when it woke up at night, didn't work. I tried forcing it to sleep and force it to stay in its pen so it would sleep again by itself, it didn't do it. I made it sleep and rewarded when he woke up at dawn, didn't work. I tried starting the Extreme Growth map directly at game start, didn't work. I tried letting it roam around by itself in EG, didn't work. I tried forcing it in its pen in EG for an straight hour, didn't work and finally I tried all that again after taking the cow and switching to a mandrill, then sheep, leopard, horse and gorilla to see if it was a matter of creature type, wasn't one.

After those tests, I decided to mess around with the tiger to see how much it wanted to sleep at night, so I started the game, skipping all training and entering EG right away. It didn't sleep right away, but when I escaped the skirmish menu back to story mode, it started me back at the game start select screen right after I chose "skip all training", so I could choose the cow, and it would sleep right away! Yes, this is a glitch (sort of), but it works, and after trying to mess around with it, I found out how to make it happen (because that time, I got lucky).

See, when you click ok at the game start menu screen after choosing whatever starting option, the game autosaves the frame right after the choice. I got lucky to find that out (I didn't notice it saves there before) because when I got in the skirmish menu, the game lagged and didn't autosave before getting in the menu (normally it must do that in order to start back exactly where you left off when you exit the menu). Knowing that, and knowing that the latest autosave that the game made can be loaded in the temple's save room, here is (finally) the trick to make a cow sleep at night right at the beginning of the game:

Start the game and skip all training (The autosave comes up before the creature choosing cutscene so reloading this autosave brings you to choose again between the cow, ape or tiger). Choose the ape. Go in your temple (F4) and go through the conscience's dialogue, then in the save room (F7), again, through the dialogue. Find the autosave square (at the very top of the room right at the left of the scroll) and load it. Choose the cow now. It should act like the ape does: point at your hand, stretch & yawn, sleeps. Rewarding it when it wakes up rewards it for sleeping more at night. His normal cow stats (strength, fatness, growth, intelligence, curiosity, playfulness, speed, benevolence/violence, greed, etc...) remains just like a new cow, the only difference is that it does the same first actions as the ape when you choose it (so the glitch really only makes it sleep at night at the beginning, nothing else is influenced), so it's just like changing creatures in-game, but with an autosave reload instead of a silver scroll :)

Hope this helps some people who had the same issues :)

*UPDATE 2*
alright I just stumbled upon a trick that does not require that glitch, a map nor a hack, nor even to skip all training at the beginning, you can start the game normally and it will work. It's so simple it hurts, here it is:

When night comes, bring the creature in its pen to make it sleep. When the tiredness level gets to 0%, he'll continue sleeping for a while because it's the night. Well, the trick starts here: About a second after the tiredness level gets to 0%, wake it up in its pen and remove the leash. If nothing is in its way (toys in the pen or high hunger but no food in the pen), it will stretch, yawn and go back to sleep right away. Rewarding it then will reward it for sleeping more at night. If there are toys in the pen and the creature is playful, it will play instead. If it's hungry and has food in the pen, it will eat in the pen and then go to sleep. If there's no food in the pen and it's hungry, it will seek food elsewhere (if you teached it to) and will not go back to sleep. If it wants to poo, it will poo inside the pen and then go to sleep. If it wants to drink, it will drink, obviously outside the pen, and won't go back to sleep.

Note that this update only perfectly applies to the cow, other creatures may differ in behavior. The ape for example (the only other creature I checked with) will go back to sleep no matter what except if there are toys around, but you can easily fix this by punishing a 10% when it plays with a toy for it to loose interrest in playing with toys at night and go back to sleep instead.

Hope this helps (again) :)

I remember having this problem myself.

Unfortunately I never found a proper solution :( .  The only thing I found that reliably worked was just after you selected a creature on Land 1.

You need to select the Ape (as opposed to the Cow or Tiger).  The very first thing he'll do is go to sleep in the Pen and if you reward him for that, you'll get the "sleeps more at night" message.  He'll immediately do it again so that you can re-enforce this behaviour if you like.

After that, you can use a creature changer tool to change to whatever creature you actually wanted.

Thank you, but I would prefer a solution that doesn't need a creature changer to change for the creature I want to use, I don't like using those and I want to use the cow.

OK I may have a clue...

Somehow you can "trigger" the "sleep more at night" reward by doing this: When it's the night, though a little before might be best, get the creature to sleep in its pen. When it wakes up (should still be night when that happens), do not reward and wait, the creature must decide by itself to sleep in its pen at night in order for the reward to be for sleeping at night, so when you tell your creature to sleep, it will always be considered by the game that you make it sleep of tiredness, not because it's the night.

Now that it is awake, the creature sometimes stretches and yawns a little while after, and then goes back to sleep for a second time during the night. When it wakes up the second time, rewarding it will prompt the "Now your creature will sleep more at night" message.

Now that is the theory, but of course it's never certain that the creature will do that when you make it sleep when the night just arrives. At least we know how to trigger the knowledge... now to trigger the trigger is something else that I have no idea how to... maybe by forcing the creature to stay in the pen after the first wake-up if it wanders off until it decides to try and sleep by itself when it's still night, and rewarding it then might work... I'm going to try that and update my first post if it worked.

Oh by the way fenton_pat...

You need to select the Ape (as opposed to the Cow or Tiger).  The very first thing he'll do is go to sleep in the Pen and if you reward him for that, you'll get the "sleeps more at night" message.

The tiger does that as well, only the cow doesn't. I just tried it with all three starting creatures 4-5 times each to be sure  :)

Ades said:
The tiger does that as well, only the cow doesn't. I just tried it with all three starting creatures 4-5 times each to be sure  :)

Heh.  Learn something new everyday.  I always thought it was just the Ape for some reason :p .

Ok... scratch my theory, I simple cannot get the cow to sleep at night for some reason, and it didn't work out like I thought it could... Going to try some more things and update if I find something new.

Anyone having succeeded teaching the cow creature to sleep at night, however you did it, please post a reply here so I can stop testing this AI and finally start studdying like I should be doing :)

EDIT: changing to another creature doesn't work.

UPDATE: I just found a way, it's tricky but doesn't need any hacking or program else than the game itself, I am updating my original post to tell how I did so people asking themselves how to make a cow want to sleep at night as well won't need to scroll down this thread to get the answer :)

Just had a read through everything you tried and you really must've spent some time at this :shocked !

However, I must say I like your solution given you don't have to hack the game at all :) .

fenton_pat said:
Just had a read through everything you tried and you really must've spent some time at this :shocked !

Haha, imagine if you didn't tell me about the ape sleeping at night at the beginning, I might have spent some more weeks figuring that out for myself  :upside ! Thank you very much for the help  :)

Just a quick note the EG Map was never meant to host Cows. The complete system had 3 parts aimed at MP players.
1 EG for size.
2 Arena for aggression training using good or evil miracles.
3 Build fast build heap.

The whole game can take less than 5h to complete but it is more fun if you take your time.

Gremxula said:
Just a quick note the EG Map was never meant to host Cows.

It still works perfectly for its purpose though  :yes

By the way I just got really lucky in a new game I made and found a real way to trigger the "sleep more at night message" this time, no need to skip all training, you can start the game normally and it will work, no glitch required, you just have to time it right... I was so close to find it with my tests and I just stumbled on it ten minutes ago, no maps required as well. It's so simple it hurts  :laugh2 see my original post again for the trick (labeled *Update 2* )

I am glad you figured this out years in advance. Decided to revist this game about 1.5 weeks ago after not playing since 2004. I had the same issue wiith my cow. Luckily I want to play with the Sheep, so I did what you suggested and swapped to the sheep after reinforcing night sleeping. Worked like a charm. Thanks much! Also, bump.

Back