MICROSOFT VISUAL C++ RUNTIME LIBRARY.

Gary

Hi.

For the last couple of days my game, (B & W 1) has been comeing to an abrupt end. The following error message just appears:-

MICROSOFT VISUAL C++ RUNTIME LIBRARY.
    Runtime error!
    Program: ...am Files\Lionhead Studios Ltd\Black & White\runblock.exe

abnormal program termination.

Does anyone know why this is hapening, and what I should do to fix it?

PS. I am running Vista. Had no problems for last 2 months.

ATB Gary.

Have you installed any new programs lately. Maybe one of them could be causing the problem.

Standard fix is usually to uninstall and then to reininstall B&W again.

Do use BWBackup to back up your profiles first.

Not sure, but I found this in response to the same error on another game for Vista:

1. Some of your games, Star Wars in particular require that you have update drivers for both video and sound. If you haven't yet updated those drivers, give that a try.

2. Do you have any other cd/dvd rom drives you can try using? Your cdrom may be failing and causing the errors when the game is unable to read the data from the disk in the drive.

3. UAC (User Access Control) is also an issue. If you enable or disable UAC after the game was installed, the game won't run properly. Enabling or disabling UAC changes the location of where files are stored. So if you installed with UAC enabled, make sure you leave it enabled for when you play the game.

The first probably isn't the issue if you've been playing, so I'd say the last one would be the first thing to check :0.

Thank you both for you replies.

Kays. - No. I havan't loaded anything latley.

Jaden. - I do have another DVD player that I can try. I'll give it a go during the week.
              What is "User Access Control"? If you mean "Addministrator rights", I did change this after loading the game, but I have had no problems untill now, which is a good month later. The reason for changing to Admin rights was to stop another prob with the game.

Again, thank you both for your help.
ATB Gary.

Sorry for the delay in replying.

Using a differant DVD player made no difference.

What do I do to load the 1.2 patch? I download it to my "DOWNLOAD" file, then what do I do? which folder in B & W do I put it?

Thanks again for taking the time to help.
ATB Gary.

Just download the patch to what ever folder you usually download files to (My Documents is default) . Then double click on the patch and it will find the game and install on it's own.

http://www.bwfiles.com/files/index.php?action=file&id=130

When I D-click on the patch icon, I get a "security window" of which I press the "RUN" button. Then I get another window which is headed:-  C:\users\Gary\Documents\black_white_patch_v1_20.exe
in the window it says:-
C:\users\Gary\Documents\black_white_patch_v1_20.exe is not a valid win32 application.

I apologise for sounding dumb. What do you think I should do now?

PS. My opinion of Vista is that it is a waste of time, money and patients.

Thank you for your help.
All the best, Gary.

Try downloading the file again. But to a different location. Then try opening it.

Hi Kays.

I tried putting it into several different locations with exactly the same result as above.

It's a shame. The game has behaved quite well up until now.

I think I will just go onto B&W 2, and see what happens there, and perhaps return at a later date.

Thanks for trying.
ATB Gary.

I thought that the patch might of gotten corrupted on download.

But if it gives that error when you've downloaded it again then it could be something in the security settings.

The other option is to go back to using WinXP. At least with it you know what you're dealing with and what it can and cannot do. :rolleyes

Thank you so much for your help and time Kays.

This is a brand new computer. I no longer have XP.

I'll have a go at switching off all my PC security  :p and download the patch again.

ATB Gary.

Well I tried the above, but I don't know if it worked or not.
Now when I do a quick save, auto save or go into the temple and save, a window pops up saying:-

lh has stopped working.
Windows is collecting more information about the problem. This might take several minutes.

Once it has finished I get another window saying:-

lh has stopped working.
A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

Are you as p###ed as me.  :angry  :sorry

ATB Gary.

Back