Little Help for newbie!

Nero

Hi everyone I am new (actually newest) here! Sorry for my bad English if it cause any inconvenience  :sorry
I have just taken part in B&W for a month and I love the game so much !!!  :grin2
I have read several guides on the site but I still find myself between lots oh troubles.
Here are some of them  :blush

I am having an ape. I reward him 50-70% when he feeds himself at the hunger of 40-50% and 20-30% at a lower hunger. I only reward him when he eats grain or fish and slap him 10-20% when he eats animals (good ape anw) but sometime he still eats meat  :shocked

He is quite intelligent, very easy to learn new spells but never use them right. I have shown him where to use food, wood and water but he just watering trees most of the time and never use food.

Sometimes I send him to a village to convert it. He just wander around and then "Your creature is sitting down because he doesn't have much to do" (or sth like that). He never use birds miracle even though I have taught him and show him many times.

When I let him free roam, he do nothing but going to the seaside drinking water or sometime fish for himself.

In conclusion, he is smart but useless.

Anyone help me???

In black & white, the creature only gets 'fully' active, when you finished land 1.

However, your creature is actually a lot smarter then you think. You never showed him -how- to impress villages.

Try teaching him the miracles, at the place he needs to use them.

For instance, fireball at the temple of the other gods, and water miracle on the fields.

Also, your creature will not cast a miracle, until the learning % gets above 95.

Also, slap him a bit more when he eats meat.

I hope this helped a bit. :)

Hi Nero, welcome to our forums. :)

I think that Apes can be difficult to train in that they have a short attention span and need to be kept occupied. Especially in the early stages of training. As they get older and have learned to do things. Then it will be less of a problem.

Spend a lot of time on various training maps. Start with my map and move on to Kilroy's Training grounds. Keep a close eye on him and keep him busy.

Thanks so much!
So is it a good idea using the ape to learn some basic things and change to another creature (such as a horse) to sharpen its skills ?

It might be an idea. Stay on land 1 and use the creature breeder. The guy in the shack up the beach from the missinaries. Using the creature breeder, your creature won't loose any what he's learnt. Not so if you use a creature changer program.

For creature to change to.

The horse has a bit of the attention spam problem as the Ape but not as bad. It does have a unique fighting style though.
The Gorilla is a strong dumb Ape. Quite easy to train. Just takes a bit longer. It packs a mean punch.
The Mandril I've never used. It's got something to do with the dreadlocks maybe.
The Leopard is quite slow to lean. But doesn't forget or get distracted easily. My favorite of the four.

Interesting!
I have a question. If I teach the Ape all the necessary things and change to the Leopard or the Horse, will he know as much as the ape and behave less distractedly ?

I don't know. I usually switch when the creature is young. I suspect that the creature will retain "some" of these traits as it's a behavioural thing. But it shouldn't be too difficult to over come.

So I will try to use the Horse and reply !!
One last thing. When should I switch? And should I use the growth map ?

Use the growth map first. A creature will stop growing rapidly once at the age of 18.

The horse is a good choice. :)

Thx alot ! :)
I really appreciate you for your hardwork exploring everything in the game! :p
True gamer  :D

Nah, it' a fascinating game and I just got hooked on it. :)

Considering the age (almost 9 years now) the creature AI was very well done. If you spent enough time with it. It's almost like having a pet.

Aye, and we're still finding new things in the game all the time. It's pretty deep, as games go, and I don't think Lionhead ever released official documentation.

The mandrill is the most well-rounded of all the creatures. Its fighting style is somewhere between the bear and ape, and it is a decent learner. It tends to undereat (which is ironic, considering the dreadlocks and the usual connotations of dreadlocks, if you catch my drift) but is one of the very few creatures that looks okay fat, so that's easily remedied by teaching him to overeat. He is a decent fighter, moves fairly quickly, and learns slightly better-than-average. His real pro, though, is his endurance; He is wily and hard to kill, and can cast several miracles without rest.
(The mandrill is my third-favourite creature after Leopard and Polar Bear, so I have used it a lot.)

I've never found that my ape-profile ate animals, what did you feed him on island 1, when you where first supposed to feed him?

Back