Lionhead Studios UK closure, Fable Legends cancelled

Today the following was posted on the Xbox website regarding the cancellation of Fable Legends and the proposed closure of Lionhead Studios in the UK.

Today, I have some difficult changes to announce that affect some of our Microsoft Studios teams and projects in the UK and Denmark. After much consideration we have decided to cease development on Fable Legends, and are in discussions with employees about the proposed closure of Lionhead Studios in the UK. Additionally, we will close Press Play Studios in Denmark, and sunset development on Project Knoxville.
These have been tough decisions and we have not made them lightly, nor are they a reflection on these development teams – we are incredibly fortunate to have the talent, creativity and commitment of the people at these studios. The Lionhead Studios team has delighted millions of fans with the Fable series over the past decade. Press Play imbued the industry with a unique creative spirit behind games like Max: The Curse of Brotherhood and Kalimba, which both captured passionate fans. These changes are taking effect as Microsoft Studios continues to focus its investment and development on the games and franchises that fans find most exciting and want to play.
I speak for all of Xbox when I say that despite this news, we remain committed to the development communities in the UK and Europe, and Xbox will continue to support new IP and originality in the games we offer on our platforms, whether they’re AAA blockbusters likeQuantum Break from Remedy, adventurous new IPs like Sea of Thieves from Rare, or unique new creations from independent developers like Moon Studios with Ori.

We have nothing but heart-felt thanks for the members of Lionhead and Press Play for their contributions to Xbox and gaming. We are committed to working closely with those affected by today’s news to find them new opportunities at Xbox, or partnering with the broader development community to help place them in jobs elsewhere in the games industry should they desire

Source

Sad news.  But it's not like we haven't heard much output from Lionhead in the last while.

All hopes for Black&White 3 are dead :'(
I think, there is not a chance...

Oh Kratzean, there is always a chance. We'd just have to make BW3 ourselves.  :laugh2

At this point, the chances of a Black & White 3 being made are indeed horrifyingly slim. However, I do still have some hope for the series. Allow me to explain:

The death of Lionhead may just be the catalyst to get some of their games on Steam. If the Black & White series manages to get remastered on Steam (which I think is a very distinct possibility if we push hard enough), new and old fans alike will be brought to the series. Having this sort of situation would greatly increase the odds that a developer would see the Black & White series and try to make the third game or make a reboot.

Honestly I think a reboot would be most likely if anything. It's been too long since Black & White 2 (11 years now) and so newcomers would need to be properly introduce. Any of these possibilities I welcome wholeheartedly!!!

Black and white and black and white 2 where desingned by Peter Molyneux. Who has long since left lionhead. maybe now his studio ( 22Cans ) could take over the franchise.

Uhm, black & white would be awesome, ps4 graphics? 4k compatibility? And uh, make an super metropolis!! New troops with actual guns, and miracles, epics aghhh! (Head explosion)

Masontheslayer9 said:
At this point, the chances of a Black & White 3 being made are indeed horrifyingly slim. However, I do still have some hope for the series. Allow me to explain:

The death of Lionhead may just be the catalyst to get some of their games on Steam. If the Black & White series manages to get remastered on Steam (which I think is a very distinct possibility if we push hard enough), new and old fans alike will be brought to the series. Having this sort of situation would greatly increase the odds that a developer would see the Black & White series and try to make the third game or make a reboot.

Honestly I think a reboot would be most likely if anything. It's been too long since Black & White 2 (11 years now) and so newcomers would need to be properly introduce. Any of these possibilities I welcome wholeheartedly!!!

Yeah, but as long as EA owns it I can see any future installment of B&W being a partially finished game laden with both micro payments and expansions. Oh, and an internet connection.
Want more than two creatures? $2.99 for each one. Want skirmish? Here's an expansion that allows it. Want these buildings that could have easily come with the released game? Get your wallet ready- they're $1.99-$9.99 for each one! Not to mention they could charge for maps, different village races, miracles.
It may seem a bit bitter and harsh, but look at how a lot of games are going nowadays- Sims 4, Sim City, Dragon Age, Star Wars Battlefront, Need for Speed- and these are just EA games. Microsoft did the same thing when Fable III came out for Xbox, and Ubisoft isn't innocent either.

Anyway, I'm going to get off my soapbox. I'm just really disillusioned with the way games are being released now.

Yes there are lots of games that are now free to play at "cannon fodder" level and you end up paying more than if you  paid for a complete game or just provide targets for those that have.

Back