Graphics.config problems, any and all help would be great.

Dhex

Hi there. Well it's been a few years but the urge to dust off the B&W series and get my God on came to the front this week. B&W 1 works like charm and still has all of its, but B&W2...Getting the usual land glitches/whole tracts of it being lost to zooms etc. Now it seems from what I've read that its prob a case of my graphics card not being on the graphics.config list. Now, my problem is this ; How exactly do I edit/add the card to the list. It is a Radeon Sapphire R7 265. I suppose I guess what I'm asking for is how the line in the config should look/read. Yep...I'm that clueless when it comes to this kinda stuff....Ty in advance.

Hey there!
I looked at the Graphics.cfg and didn't find your card either. I can't recall if adding it manually does anything, but I might be wrong. Regardless, I'm not sure what the process is, I'm afraid :(

You could try setting all the 3's and 1's to 2's and 0's, maybe it'll use a different card in place of your card (who knows :p)

Also, if you could for clarification, post your screenshots where you have bugs/glitches so someone might be able to give a better answer than this.

Hope you fix it!

Tyvm for the reply. I set all the AMD cards on the list to 3 0 3 and variants inbetween, no change or improvement. Apart from the land glitches , one thing I've noticed is that when I go into Options at the startup screen I get serious flicker. Have included a coupla screenshots.
https://imageshack.com/i/eyZkad7Kp
https://imageshack.com/i/hlofRFJDp

That's very strange! I believe this is the same issue as in another (http://www.bwfiles.com/boards/index.php?topic=7053.0) post.

If I had to take a guess, I'd say it's because the game's quite old (and unfinished, actually!) and has things like this which either have no fixes whatsoever (without major editing) or fixes which sort of spoil the game  :(

Regardless, I'm not sure what to think. Since I don't know anything about video cards (or any hardware part for that matter  :upside), I'm guessing your card's pretty new. You could also poke around in your card settings, or individual settings in graphics menu in BW2 (although I'm sure you've done that already).

Really hope you resolve this man, and if you've by chance run across a working method, post it here so other people can see! Greatly appreciated (and apologetic for being useless :p)

Hey, thank for trying, other than GoG getting their hands B&W2 I guess I'm SOL, but the one thing that is gnawing at me is that the Settings in B&W2 folder in My Documents identifies the card.

// Black & White II Main Settings File
// DO NOT MODIFY!

Adapter = "AMD Radeon R7 200 Series"
PingServer = "bwping.bwgame.com"
ScreenW = 1366
DefaultProfile = L"_K_a_l_i_b_o_s"
ScreenH = 768

Its a damn shame, but c'est la vie.
But should anyone wander past this problem and know of a fix, it would be awesome.

Hey, I've patched up the game to support newer graphics cards and CPUs and to also skip those annoying splash screens at the start: download here. Just replace your white.exe with this one, I'll release a full blown patch in the future, but for now this should let you play the game the way it was supposed to be played.

Ok , first off tyvm for the reply. Did a reinstall of B&W2, applied both patches and used the .exe . Same problems...patches of landscape still completely transparent when zooming or just not there at all. I didn't modify settings or any of that. So, am I doing something wrong or will the future patch address that and compatibility with newer graphic cards. Also...removing the splash screens...genius :)

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU ! The problem was solved thus ; using Handsome Matt's .exe and Grimgor's post about running it in windows 98 / ME its now running fine. Guys...no words...shoulda sent...a poet...

I just got a new graphics card (AMD R9 200) and got this glitch.
Absolutely wonderful that you made a fix for it! It's 2015 and I now still can play the game thanks to you! Thank you very much Handsome Matt! :laugh: :woot

I just finished Black and White 1 for the first time in my life. :woot I know it might sound weird but I never managed to win the game. I got stuck every time on land 5. Thanks to the internet (which I didn't had when I played many years ago) I learnt how to use artefacts and create gigantic wonders with them.

Anyhow I'm now going to install and play Creature Isle and I was wondering if it has the same graphic bug with graphic cards... I was guessing it does. So I was wondering if you could make a similar patch for the addon (or tell me how to do it).
Only if you have time of course. And only if the game needs it, I haven't checked yet so I might be talking rubbish atm lol.

Hey Guys, here trying to run B&W 2 having same problem as most, Core Application has stopped working. I downloaded Handsome Matt's fix (Thanks for that) but I still got the error on land 3, so I started quicksaving every five minutes o so, after 4 quick saves I got a crash. Today I tried to start my save from Land 3, automatic crash. I reinstalled in a C:\Games folder, copied white.exe into the installation folder and I still get a crash, I tried adding my GPU manually to graphics.config (Although I'm not sure how to name it, tried a few different combinations) and I still crash, I also ran the game in XP SP3 Compatibilty mode and crashed, tried Windows 98/ME but the game prompts me to create a new profile, dunno why. Anybody can help me please? :help

I'm running the following system:
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2GHz
8Gb RAM
ATI Radeon HD 6900 Series GPU

Please Help!

Thank You

Are you running the game at the highest settings? (In graphics.cfg, are you using 3 0 3 on all of them?)

You might wanna try changing that to either one. For ex if you're using 0 as the middle number of the 3, you may wanna try to set it to 1, or vice versa.

Sorry I can't explain that very well. I think you'll get what I mean if you look in graphics.cfg and play with the numbers a bit.

I just tried it and no go, but I think the name I set for my GPU is wrong, because ingame settings don`t change

PS: anybody knows where the game stores saved game data en Windows 98/ME compatibility mode? I want to try running it in that mode but don`t want to start all over again

If you want, you can refer to the bottom post in this thread regarding graphics.cfg editing.

Otherwise, don't think there is a particular spot known for save files with that circumstance...when you try to create a new profile (and make one), does it actually save it? meaning when you restart, does the same profile still exist at the main menu?

So I have this problem as well and also am using an ATI R9 200 series graphics card, along with a 6 core i7 processor (this may be why Matt's patch didn't work for me).  After some extensive troubleshooting, I discovered that the program seems to have troubles running on more than 2 cores.  So here is the solution for those of you who's problems weren't resolved by Matt's patch:

Make sure to turn off all compatibility settings for white.exe that you may have previously done.

Then create a new shortcut and enter this as the location (change white.exe location if you've installed to a different directory):

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start "White" /affinity 3 "C:\Program Files (x86)\Lionhead Studios\Black & White 2\white.exe"

After you've created the shortcut, right click on it and choose Properties.  Make sure that the "Start in" field says the following (or whatever location you installed BW2):

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Lionhead Studios\Black & White 2"

You can also change the icon to the white.exe location as well.  This fix forces white.exe to run with 2 cores and will fix the texture issues you have popping in and out as well as most other anomalies.  Let me know how this works for you!

Hello everyone, I had the same problem as op.
I tried the Matt patch and it did not work for me. Also tried tonewheelz tip and again, no results. However the multi cores thing got me thinking. Im running on r7 200 and i5 intel, Windows 7 64.
So heres how I managed to fix it:

1. Run the game.
2. Run the Task manager ( ctrl+alt+delete) [if it wont switch you to Task manager use alt+tab to select it]
3. Under the Procceses tab find your game procces, as default it should be white.exe
4. Right click it then choose Set affinity
5. Uncheck all the boxes except one with CPU (I did mine with CPU 0)
6. Confirm with Ok, go back to your game.
7. Problem fix'd.

So basically what you do is the same thing as tonewheelz suggested, but now you the game is using only one cpu core instead of two.
The thing is you will have to repeat this everytime you run the game, I guess it can be done the same way as tonewheelz proposed with location of a shortcut, but setting affinity to run on one cpu.
Hope that helps.

That's a cool way that you've figured out there! I recall doing this myself in a different game and making it permanent. There is a program that makes the CPU affinity stick to the same settings and that is this tool here. It's a process that runs in the background, and from what I recall, it's completely silent (or if you want it to be  :laugh2), and also is free which makes it a plus already. It's fairly straight forward to configure and use, but do take care. May mess some things up!  :blush

It seems that the .exe file you made, which worked PERFECTLY btw, will not work if your keeping your PC updated as it seems the drivers outdo the fixed file, for instance after an update I can't zoom too far out or move around the game without it freezing and then crashing.

Back