Game Crashing when trying to exit World 4

McGooTheWise

Hey all, first post. I've been playing this game for years and recently decided to install it on my new machine (eternally thankful for the guide in the sticky, btw).

I never had the patience to beat Nemesis in world 5 in the past, but now I've gone and tried again and got through the rest of the game and world 4 in about 9 hours of gameplay. My problem is that after I've sent through every bit of help that I feel I will need, scaffolds, wood, food, villagers, artifacts, miracle orbs, and click the silver story scroll to move on, the game begins to load world 5 and then crashes before I get to the loading screen. I get a fade to black, the image of the portal with my god hand pops back up on screen, and then the game closes itself out. When I reload I am forced back to a previous save from before I beat the level.

When I go into the save game room I also see purple squares instead of the images of the save that I remember from years ago when I was playing on a Compaq with a 9.81 GB harddrive. Either that or for some reason I get images of my creature's body and tattoos, which is really weird. I know this game has problems with save files corrupting so I did the old fix and deleted all of my older save files, renaming my most recent save to "1", but now every time I launch the game it gives me the 1.4 patch start screen where I select how much of the tutorial I want to skip, and then forces me to start a new game. After listening to good and evil rave about the temple and the save game room (irritating  :rolleyes) I can go back to my save just before going through the portal. I'd like to not have to erase everything and start my game over, so if anyone has some advice...? that would be awesome!  :yourock:

Yikes. I've heard of Land 5 crashing a lot but this is taking it to a whole new level. Maybe you overprepared and all the stuff that has to come through the vortex is what's causing the game to crash when trying to load Land 5. If you made backups of your saves before deleting them, try restoring the backed up saves and loading from an earlier point and don't throw so much in the vortex this time.

As for the issues with save thumbnails, Black & White 1 is extremely buggy on modern systems and if it wasn't for the efforts of Handsome Matt many users would not even be able to play it. As far as I know, the magenta save thumbnail issue only happens when you try to save the game in windowed mode. Regardless, the only thing that's bugged is the thumbnail itself--the saves will load just fine. Better be sure you make use of descriptive names to know what you're loading, though!

Thanks for the reply! The windowed mode was the only way I could get the game to run on my computer, otherwise the screen would be all black rendering the game unplayable. I'm playing on a 1070 STRIX and a 65" 4k flatscreen, so I'm just assuming that setup isn't going to play well with fullscreen mode. I guess I can live with that. I use descriptive save names as you said. Unfortunately I guess I deleted too many saves from before so I'll have to start over from scratch unless my Vortex file still exists for that portal (I have played other maps since then). Whenever I get around to playing again I'll delete some lines out of that file and update to see if that fixes it. I sent through about 16 7x scaffolds so my guess tends toward that being the issue. I was being pragmatic as far as I could tell.  :laugh2 

Fan Patch V1.42 should allow you to set the game at resolutions beyond 1920x1080. As for your preparations, that doesn't sound like it'd break the game. I threw in 25-50 7x Scaffolds, 2.5mil Wood and Food, countless Miracle Seeds, and I don't even know how many villagers on my last playthrough. Oh, and about 20 artifacts.

I tried playing on 3840x2160 resolution but I couldn't start the game like this. Luckily it worked on my third screen which has 1920x1080.

Back