Creature files

svenxix

I'm just starting to dissect the game files for the original black and white, and I'm confused about the different kinds of files that store creature information, and was hoping someone could explain it to me.

I know there are .CBN files that are stored in B&W/Data/CTR. But what exactly do these contain? Are the CBN files just the sprites or do they also have the basic creature stats such as learning rate?

I know there are also creature mind files stored in Scripts/CreatureMind, but are these are just for loading prebuilt minds into creatures for skirmishes? And do creature mind files contain any info about which creature they are (rhino, bear, etc)?

I also found a creature mind file that I believe is mine named C4b17e2b0.erc. but there is another named PhysiqueC4b17e2b0.erc. Does anyone know the differences between these two files?

Also there is a dead link on the page http://www.bwfiles.com/home/help_minds.shtml that points to http://boards.bwgame.com/showthread.php?threadid=41752. I think that would be helpful if someone knows what that information is.

Lots of questions I know.

I also just found a creature.lhp file in profiles/<profile name>/creature.lhp.

Does anyone know what this file contains?

Hi and welcome. :)

I can't answer all the questions since it's been a bit too long since I've played the game but..

The creaturemind folder contains all of the creature minds for both the game and player creatures. The one with the .erc files are for the player creatures. The first contains the basic creature data. This includes learned knowledge and appearance. This file can be renamed and used on maps as another creature. The second file contains the data on the creature's physical state like health, fat, muscle, etc.

As for that missing link, I believe it describes how to get into the registry to check some of the creature data there.

Start >> Run >> Type in regedit. Then search for lhmultiplayer

If you're not aware of this. Do note that a backup of  the registry is also required if you intend to backup the game.

It has also been awhile for me since I played with the BW1 files. I guess that the CBN files are the 'central' file for each creature. They indicate which mesh files (.l3d) files to use for the creature. I believe these also contain skeleton information for the creature as well as the actual animation. I seem to remember guessing that the specs like learning rate were in the CBN file, but I'm not sure.
   As a note, if you swap CBN files, it'll work fine. This seems to indicate that they do indeed contain all data. So, for example, start a game and select the tiger. Now exit and swap  the filenames for blion and btiger, then start the game and load. The tiger will now be a lion.

-ego533

cbn is how to use mech, general info "like learning"

creature mind fills are wat creature he is seize, miracles, stats, allingment

Back