Creature Features and Aesthetics

Vargoradaath

Elder
I'm not sure if anyone else has posted or even bothered discussing this, as it's somewhat pointless, but as of late I've experienced and experimented with some bizarrely-faced Creatures.  :shocked

For example, I've raised two Wolves, both exhibiting varying degrees of bulbousness in the snout, to the point of nearly posessing a proboscis, and a Tiger with a scrunched-up housecat face.  For a while I wondered whether or not this was a result of my training; that is, was I somewhat negligent toward my Creatures?  Perhaps their diet was somewhat lacking?  Maybe it had to do with the time of day in which they were most active?  Alas, I was running out of options, and none of my experiments were conclusive.  ???

I eyed the Tiger on my Creature Code sheet with envy; why did this creature and the one shown in nearly all of the Neutral Tiger screenshots and previews have such a strong, natural, and noble-looking muzzle?  Why did my Wolf's face distort so hideously only a few hours into play?

I decided I'd simply forget about the Tiger entirely, and resumed my peaceful conquest of Land 3.  After winning the land, I took a look at my Creature, and was rather intrigued to see that not only had his physique changed, but so had his face.

His snout had lengthened and broadened somewhat, and his Fatness and Muscle had dwindled to little over 65% each, though his constant Gathering and Entertaining had kept his Fitness at a solid 99% --  while his Muscle was at 99%, his snout was small, kittenlike, and rather unpleasant to behold.

Could it be that the Creatures' facial structures are affected most strongly by these two stats?  I may experiment further with the effects of these stats, to see what the results are.  It may simply be that extremes of physique have a somewhat detrimental affect upon Creature aesthetics.

Any input regarding this aspect of Creature training would be most appreciated, for I've yet to see just what happens when all physical stats drop to 0%, particularly in Tigers.  I've seen the Norse Wolf in such a state, and it was truly horrific.

let me make a statement possibly your alignment a wolf snout changes to a small one then later changes longer it happend to me and my creature didnt get fat or strength

Yeah I had the same thing Vargoradaath and my wolf's face was all messed up at one point and then for like 5 minutes it looked good, but then he went back to ugliness for the rest of the game.

This is a known glitch with the wolf's face, and has been reported and discussed over on the official forums. There's nothing wrong with your game or settings.

Essentially, the wolf's face doesn't render properly for some alignments. This explains why he looks ok sometimes and not others. Hopefully they will address it. While the creature's faces should change based on alignment, some of the parameters for the wolf do not seem to be functioning properly.

Hmm I was wondering about that as well. My wolf's face gets really odd looking when it is really fat.

I noticed that, too... Early on, when my wolf was just beginning to become good, he was the ugliest little canine you've ever seen.

*looks at the page*
  :shocked
oh goodness.. my good wolf looked like that at one piont.. I think before I got the graphics card fixed, I was confused, thought I'd done something wrong to him XD;;

Lol :p    the creature of Zackers14 looked like that :p  he showed a pic in the show pics of your creature thread :p  Res said isnt his nose a bit to long...  than I watched the pic good...    and laughed like hell :D

@ [alphaBeta] - Good to see that LH is aware of it, though what they plan to do about it is another thing entirely. 

@ Kays - Haw!  Perfect example of the facial glitch.  :laugh2  It even shows the teeth/gums mesh sticking out of the snout, which often look like scars/gashes on the Wolf's snout in the early stages of deformation.

Well, I played a bit with my tigers again, and sure enough, most of the facial distortion is caused by a combination of extreme Muscle and Fatness - I created a special walled prison for my good tiger on Land 3 (along the coast behind the wall the Beardy instructs you to build), and starved/neglected him until all of his physique stats hit zero.  :devil  The effect was a very wide head, skeletal physique, and a tiny muzzle with a pushed-up nose. 

I then took the same creature and blasted its physique stats to 100% each; his body was enormous, and his face was scrunchy as usual.  I then beat his inclination to workout (trees, ore, villagers, toys) to maximum punishment, and punished his eating habits to medium levels.  The result after an hour or so was much closer to the appearance of the official tiger screenies; at 50-60% Muscle and Fatness, the Tiger is essentially natural-looking when neutral, and reasonably decent-looking at 100% good.

I'm going to play around with a neutral wolf and see if I can keep its face within reasonable proportions; I'll take note of its starting stats and keep them within 5% of each; with any luck, the final pieces will click into place...

The teeth/gums thing on the wolf drives me up the wall.  :angry  First time I noticed it, I thought it was a cut from some archers my creature had been beating on...

Back