Can I make my own Tattoo?

mgordon1100

Hi, I'm new.  My name is Mike.  I've had this game for 10 years, never made it past Land 2.  I just dusted it off and installed it, then found this site while looking for an answer to a question.  I can't believe there are still a lot of people playing this game.  I have to be honest, I downloaded this off of a warez site.  I played around with it, discovered that I liked it, then bought it.  Nothing worse than spending money on software you end up not liking, I say. 

Anyhow, subject says it all.  Can I make my own, and use colors?  Also, what's with this floating llama?  It's annoying, so I log out when I'm browsing around here.

Seems no one likes the llama these days Kays  :D

Yeah tattoos are easy to make; i have made a few of my own. Basically go into paint or any other image editing software and make a 64x64 square. You can use multicoloured ones but for now i reccomend sticking with just the standard colours that come with the game. Make it in black and white colouring. The white bit shows up, and the black is invisible, so make the part of the tattoo you want to see white. Save the image as a bitmap (.bmp) Name it symbol1. Then you need to put it in C:\Program Files\Lionhead Studios Ltd\Black & White\Profiles and then the name of your profile. Note: each letter will be seperated by an underscore so just ignore the underscores.
Bit of a lengthy explanation, but thats how you make tattoos. There is a tattoo section on the download bit site if you want any examples of what to do.

Thanks!  I understand your explanation.  Actually, I found out how to do it last night.  However, it didn't work.  On the other hand, your explanation of only the white parts showing up gives me more insight into the design.  The way I made it, it wouldn't have looked the way I wanted it to anyway.

One of the things is to save it as a greyscale bitmap image.

This is from the readme.
Black & White comes with 16 pre-defined player symbols/Creature tattoos. The same images are used for both. You can replace any of these images with your own. To do so, place a 64x64 greyscale .bmp image (8-bit) called symboln.bmp (where n is a number from 1 to 16) in your profile directory (default directory will be c:\program files\Lionhead Studios Ltd\Black & White\profiles\yourname\ - where yourname is the name of the profile you created). The player logo/Creature tattoo will then be available to select in the usual ways.

To swap back to the default logos/tattoos, simply delete the image files you created.

This tutorial might help. It also explains how to create a colour tattoo.

http://www.bwfiles.com/faqs/index.php?action=file&id=6

I actually lost my copy of the game, but found my copy I had had before... And my custom tattoos don't work anymore. I'll take a look, too, to see if I'm missing anything. Also, Kays, I must say, I never really liked the llama, either. In fact, if you will recall, and not to toot my own horn, I was among the first that noobishly asked how to turn it off.  :D

Back