BW2 + BW2 botg

Albalrogue

I am wanting to make a mod where I am able to play BW2 and BW2 BotG continuacly (story as in not changing cd wh=en I want to continue the story). Basicly I'm wanting to put the BW2 story (land 1, 2, 3, 4... all the way to land 9) and once the story finished, go to land 1 BotG from clicking on the gold scroll on land 9.

However, I am no modder and scripter so I only tried to integrate the BW2 lands into BotG.

Land 1 and 2 don't work at all. Once I start a new game it huts down and gives me an error message. So I tried with land 3. Started a new game and the land was there, but it's like there's the story/script of land 3 BotG for that land. It stats with the "wolf, hear me" that the undead god says. The silver scrolls from land 3 BotG are present on the land to but are scatered quite randomly (two of them are under water) but the villages and villagers are as normal (exept for my villagers since they didn't come out of the portal (since it's unexistant)). So I tried to finish the land, conquered all the towns (with the aztec ghosts from one of the silver scrolls) but then nothing.

So I was wodering if anyone could help me out by telling me how to sort it out or give me tips. I it isn't a problem.

Well it sounds like you're more of a modder than I am if that's any consolation.  I wouldn't have even gotten as far as you.

However, I remain doubtful that it's possible to play all the BOTG content with the B&W2 disk remaining in the drive.

Don't forget that there's probably bits and pieces on the BOTG disk that you need to play the BOTG lands properly, so without the disk, you're pretty much caught.

If someone does manage to help you out with this, I (and I'm sure others) would be interested in seeing the results and how you got around these kinda problems.

I don't know if it's possible, but with a high capacity DVD-R(W), one could hypothetically burn the ISOs from both/all CD-ROMs onto a single disc.  The game could possibly run either/both programs off a single disc.

Hypothetically speaking, of course.  I didn't bring my discs to the beach (I'm on holiday now), but I could give it a go when I get back home... I'd really like to see if this works.

fenton_pat said:
Well it sounds like you're more of a modder than I am if that's any consolation.  I wouldn't have even gotten as far as you.

However, I remain doubtful that it's possible to play all the BOTG content with the B&W2 disk remaining in the drive.

Don't forget that there's probably bits and pieces on the BOTG disk that you need to play the BOTG lands properly, so without the disk, you're pretty much caught.

If someone does manage to help you out with this, I (and I'm sure others) would be interested in seeing the results and how you got around these kinda problems.
Well I'm trying to do the opposite : BW2 game on the BotG disk. :)
GallopRider said:
I don't know if it's possible, but with a high capacity DVD-R(W), one could hypothetically burn the ISOs from both/all CD-ROMs onto a single disc.  The game could possibly run either/both programs off a single disc.

Hypothetically speaking, of course.  I didn't bring my discs to the beach (I'm on holiday now), but I could give it a go when I get back home... I'd really like to see if this works.
That makes it even more complecated as I thought it would be. I originaly thought that it would be possible to just insert the maps from BW2 into BotG correctly. Guess it'll be more of a challenge. xD

Albalrogue said:
Well I'm trying to do the opposite : BW2 game on the BotG disk. :)
That makes it even more complecated as I thought it would be. I originaly thought that it would be possible to just insert the maps from BW2 into BotG correctly. Guess it'll be more of a challenge. xD

Yeah, the maps are only the beginning.  You also have the scripts and audio to contend with.  However, the real "gotcha" is the BOTG/B&W2 game engines themselves.  You've made this a bit simpler for yourself by using the BOTG disk (as it has all the extra features).  

Now if the BOTG engine had been developed with plenty of time, care and attention, then it should just be an extended version of the functions of the B&W2 engine.  However, given the fact that these kinda things are rush jobs, I would guess that the same script compiled for the B&W2 engine will need to be compiled differently for the BOTG engine.  If it had been developed using the "careful" approach, I imagine BOTG would have allowed the importing of the new features back into B&W2 (much like expansion packs of old - I'm thinking Age of Empires here and such).

The differences may only be slight, but you'll have a hard time figuring it out as no-one outside of Lionhead (I think) has access to the uncompiled scripts for the main quests in either game.

Good luck :;): .

Could any one tell me where I can find a tutorial on how maps and scripts work? It will help me loads. :D

Back