Bug concerning mods and villagers - any solutions?

FunniestMonkey

Hey guys, my name is FunniestMonkey, I'm new to this site even though I've visited here many times for modding solutions and what not, but after a while I'm finally in and rolling on with this amazing community :) I've got a dilemma and a question:

After a while of trying mods from this place and others, I've noticed that villagers tend to 'get out of sight' if your buildings have changed models from the original Greek tribe to another tribe. (for example Greek Granary to a Japanese Granary)

It's been a problem with several mods, and I'm not sure if I am the only one experiencing this! Technically it should be affecting all people, but seeing as there are no real threads on here (and as far as I know other places) that tackle this issue, I am not sure what to think.

However, after a while I finally noticed what happened to the villagers - they're all playing Moses! Except instead of splitting the ocean, they literally take a dive into it and go off into the sunset and further! I've tried 'switching' animations in VillagerBuildingInteractionBalance.txt, with some 'luck' I managed to get some things to 'work'... or so I thought, until they still walked into the water.

The current mod I am using is Skelape's amazing Tibetan Mod, and I have been effectively trying to brainstorm as to what exactly causes them to walk into the water -- my only current thought is the animation which are used on greek-specific buildings (such as people walking on steps on the Granary, or people practicing marksmanship in the archery and swordsmanship in the armoury, or even them having 'a drink' in a tavern or worshipping in a temple)which cause problems, since the models are changed and the parameters must be out of whack - causing them to go into the ocean (they don't drown, they just walk forever ignoring physics, even going through buildings and walls set before them!)

I haven't yet figured out if they 'come back' should there be a draft for men or should they stop 'using the building' and go about their normal day, although I believe they do as I haven't noticed much of a population drop.

Whew, that was big... Any ideas? This is really a set-off while playing this game... I can simply not use the show-names button but that's not always possible as I like catching people outside of my walls and put them back in their place  :laugh2

Thanks  :D

Hi FunniestMonkey,

Firstly I'm glad you like the Tibetan mod :D

Secondly, I think it has something to do with the Tavern. From memory, people will still appear to be standing at the bottom of the sea regardless of which race you're playing as - but you might need to correct me on that! As far as I know there's no way to fix the problem, but it should only be 5 or 6 people at a time. Sorry I can't be any help, but I just thought I'd let you know that I don't think it's because of any changes you make to the game; I think it's just a general glitch. Neither of the patches seem to fix the problem, so it might just be one of those annoyances that you have to live with :/

I see, was hoping this wasn't the answer but it is what it is :(

However, is it really only the tavern in your experience? It is for me, certainly, but I have noticed that both barracks are also affected, as well as the granary.  In other mods, such as the Aztec mod, the smelter is affected as well.

What IS strange, though, is that the civilian buildings used for housing (villas, houses, etc) are ALL perfectly fine. The villagers use the proper animations and stand on the 'boards', as well as lean on the houses, and go into them. So perhaps the problem are the villagers, and not the buildings? The standard 'work' buildings for the actual races that they belong to aren't particularly meant to be used, I think, which is a culprit because, as I mentioned, villager building interactions text file seems to be completely useless, and thus leaves out any real clue as to what can be done to change villagers' judgment on use of the new models.

Thanks for you reply, Skelape, your mod is glorious, and I don't want to be offtopic but have you ever fixed the issue with your textures? Mainly the absent AA (or whatever) that causes them to be very edgy and everything? I've turned on AA and the problem still persisted for me, and I found out that you can export them in a certain 'way' (I can't recall what its called, but its that A8A8A8A type stuff) on PAINT.net which removes the fuzziness and rough edges, and also allows you to smooth the entire 'sheet of texture' on the files, making them look a bit more like it usually would with AA.

I can upload those files if you'd like, but I've a feeling you've already fixed this issue so I won't unless you would want me to.

Overall thx for the answer, appreciate the update on this issue - hopefully someone might have an answer  :laugh2

Hmm, that is odd! Although it certainly makes sense - if it can happen with the tavern, then one would expect other buildings with shoddy interaction scripts to be affected. Have you noticed if the enemy has these problems when they have granaries etc? My suspicion is that any villager's interaction with a Japanese granary/Aztec smelter etc is broken also - this would explain the consistency with good house interaction. It's a complicated issue and unfortunately I don't think there's a fix :( But I suspect that villagers aren't the problem, I would say it was the building models' interaction with the animation script or something.

Good, I'm glad you enjoy it! Oh wow that's news to me - I made the textures on Paint.NET and didn't know of such a feature. It sounds very useful, and you're most welcome to try it for yourself. Unfortunately I now use a mac (which is incompatible with Paint.NET) and my PC is elsewhere (and pretty old) so I can't do it myself, but it does sound interesting. The textures sure are gritty, and I haven't tried fixing the problem. I remember Sylcai said they weren't too nice on the eyes XD

Yes it is rather odd! Been bashing my head about this for a while now too, still haven't a clue  :no

When you say 'enemy villagers' are you talking about the ones which are spawned on default for the enemy cities, or ones who migrate (or ripped from  :angry) the enemy to your town? You have a very good question, and I have not yet tested to see if the japanese are having any problems with the new models - I will test when I can and report back to you :)

As for the textures, I will upload them here for you - I really hope it works for the other people as well as it did for me. I should note though that you must NOT save them, or else it will likely break all over again :( - I also left the flag icons file alone because it didn't have any issues - you did fine on that (for my game anyway)

If you do accidentally saved or you had to do so, then I will tell you what settings I used to save the textures as to make them not "non AA" :)

Thx for the support so far, it's good to have ideas flowing.

EDIT: Apparently I can't upload these files here through attachment - Here is the link to the textures:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/9l67mdw82w9xcjm/BW2+-+New+Tibet+Textures.rar.

Hope it works :)

I'm talking about villagers who spawn in the enemy town - they don't seem to interact with buildings the same way as your villagers. But when they migrate, they go into the sea! Odd. It seems unique to your race, whatever villager or building models you have.

I'd really love to use the textures because it sounds like you've done a great job, but unfortunately on my mac I can't get Paint.NET or Black & White 2 :( If you could maybe upload some pictures to your gallery to display the new textures, or attach a few here, that'd be great :)

Thanks for going to the effort of changing the textures though, they would look much nicer if they were less gritty!

Absolutely! I'll upload a couple of screenshots onto my gallery  - They seem a bit 'gritty' to me though but I think this is because I used Steam's screenshot feature rather than standard Windows one... I think it shows a difference however if you look carefully enough. I turned AA on as well, but that doesn't seem to change much from what I derived  ???

I see, so the people who migrate to you regardless of whether they spawned in enemy villagers at the beginning of the map still do this - got it. This is definitely starting to point towards hard code... a real shame, wish someone could figure it out, real tiresome to see people climb hills and try for gold medal  :laugh2

http://www.bwfiles.com/gallery2/thumbnails.php?album=214

Ah I think the galleries got a bit messed up a while back, you need a password to access them now or something. Is there any way you can attach an image to this thread or attach some?

I see, no worries. I'll post each direct link to the image  :yes

http://www.bwfiles.com/gallery2/albums/userpics/14645/2013-11-24_00011.jpg

http://www.bwfiles.com/gallery2/albums/userpics/14645/2013-11-24_00010.jpg

http://www.bwfiles.com/gallery2/albums/userpics/14645/2013-11-24_00009.jpg

http://www.bwfiles.com/gallery2/albums/userpics/14645/2013-11-24_00008.jpg

http://www.bwfiles.com/gallery2/albums/userpics/14645/2013-11-24_00007.jpg

http://www.bwfiles.com/gallery2/albums/userpics/14645/2013-11-24_00006.jpg

hope that's not a spam of any sort - also hopefully works for you  :cheers

Those look great! You can definitely see they're less harsh. Would you like me to upload the files as a patch to the Tibetan Mod, or would you like the honour? :)

You should upload them, as I have no idea how to do it  :laugh2

I hope they do come off as 'better', I have to mention if I haven't  before that I've turned AA on 'low' tick and did not really try to do it without it :( Which means I don't exactly know how it will show up without AA on, and it might become a little less 'not gritty', but from what I think it should not be a problem. Enjoy the mod and one hell of an off-topic  :yes

EDIT: A bit of an update on the villagers' mess - I've forgotten to mention that during play, I've noticed some villagers whilst trying to use the either barracks, some of the seem to just stay in the doorway and not move, while others go into it and perform the ocean catastrophe - it is very odd, and from I remember I believe it were both enemy villagers as well as your own - perhaps it has to do with the 'roll' of which script or animation a villager uses on a building to actually use it? Trouble grows deeper  :no

Back