Black and white 2 problem, help is appreciated

raubie

Hello dear Kayssplace people.

My brother got a new pc a few days ago, meaning we could finally instal B&W2
Sadly though, the game is running really slow, the menu and the intro are at normal speed
but the game itself is running sort of laggy.
The PC Meets all system requirements. (at least, I was told It would meet all reqs)

Now, here are my questions:

The PC runs under Vista, is this a problem?

The PC has a ATI Radeon Xpress 1100 graphic card, is this a problem?

Will the game run faster if I download the right patches?

if neither one of these solve the problem, what would be the solution?

Thanks for your help,

Raubie

The PC has a ATI Radeon Xpress 1100 graphic card, is this a problem?

That's definately not the fastest card. It uses a X300 processor. But you might be able to get better performance out of it.

For a start, let's see what the video controller is. Go to the control panel >> System >> Device Manager  and open "Display Adapters" There you'll see the system name of your video card. Please post it since I'm curious as to how's it listed.

Now go where BW2 is installed and in the Data folder open graphics.config file with Notepad. There you'll see listing off all of the graphics cards and some numbers next to then.

Is your card listed there?  If not you can add it.

Now you'll want to adjust the numbers. For the two outside numbers  the higher the number the more detail or resolution. For the middle number it's the opposite.

Try a starting point of 2 2 2 and then try to adjust the numbers for best performance vs graphics. As you try to push the graphics detail, it will start lagging.

Good luck :)

Btw, is this a laptop?

Many thanks, I never thought I'd get help here this soon :)
I'll do the things you listed there, (I'll edit this post later)
and this is a regular computer.

Hmm, I open the file with notepad but when I try to save an error pops-up.
The language on the pc itself is set to dutch but I'll try to explain it the best I can in english:

"Can't save the file graphics.config

Check if you have the right path and filename"

even if I don't change anything in the file itself, I'm still not allowed to save it, any help?

I had the same prob. You can buy a good graphics deal. The problem is that you have to play it on a normal pc. Not a laptop. I use a laptop. I was able to fix most of it. I still can not see any grass, creature hair, ect. Other causes can be the type of computer. Also, windows vista is NOT very reliable. Other than that you should be good to go. Hope this helps.

Most likely when that kind of error comes up, its because the file is set to read-only(meaning of course, you can't change anything), but that's easily fixed.

All you have to do is right-click the file and click properties, then uncheck the read-only checkbox. This will allow you to write to the file or change anything in it, but if its already unchecked then I can't help you. But try it.

Back