black and white 2 pc

ejonesss

i was wondering is black and white 2 able to run on today's pc's without crash?

i am thinking of getting a pc since the mac version seems to be very unstable especially battle of the gods.

al i see im pcs today are the intel i series there does not seem to be any pentiums left.

What kind of Macintosh are you using?
Mac Mini, iMac, Mac Pro, MacBook?
Here there is a Mac Pro, so I do not dare play B&W2 without it.  Because on Mac Mini it slows to a crawl, even at near minimum settings.
As for it working on Windows (7, or are you waiting for 8?) there are a few topics about such scattered around, try looking here:  http://www.bwfiles.com/boards/index.php?board=6.0
It generally requires a few tweaks to get it working, though, I think. :p

Any  modern PC will handle an old game like B&W 2 to the max. it was designed to work on PC's that are now at least 8-9y old now.

Processor: 1.6 GHz Pentium 4 / AMD XP2000 or any AMD or Intel above 32or 64 bit any number of cores.
Memory: 512 MB RAM / 1Gig or more required for Vista and above
Hard Drive: 3.5 GB free space.
DVD: 8 Speed
Video Card: 64 MB with 1.1 Pixel Shader or above
DirectX: Version 9.0c or above
Sound Card: Directx 9.0c compatible just about all are.
Input: Mouse, Keyboard

Hope this answers your question. :D

@AppleApe  mac mini 2011 version  no problems with the speed and performance until i make an army of several hundred whether it is 1 big platoon of 1000 or 10 platoons of 100 each.

the problem on the mac is crashing of the game and the mac.

i suspect their mac porter robosoft did a quick and dirty port (if any of you members are mac programmers from the 68k to osx time should know about carbonizing witch is the process of tweaking os 9 ppc applications to run in osx without a major re from ground up re write)

i think robosoft should have done a complete from the ground up rewrite (no copying and pasting code or reusing existing code)

@Gremxula i did happen to get a used dell dimension 8400 that local shop refurbished but now i am noticing some performance issues mainly mouse responsiveness.

only in the game play the hand does not seem to respond as good as it does on the mac.

after tweaking the settings on the nvidia i overclocked the one of the memories a little and then  performance improved (700 mhz is not fast enough)  overclocking makes it unstable and i have heard can destroy hardware bu overheating.

i tried turning up the sensitivity of the mouse but found that made it not so precise .

it is only in game play as i have no problem with the spinning cone on the load screen it moves around the screen smoothly and precisely.

i wonder if i need an ati card for best performance since the ati logo shows (as possible hint)

anyone else having issues with msi nvidia geforce cards.

does anyone  know are the specs listed in order of performance? (just like food packages list ingredients in order of amount (take soda for example the first one is carbonated water because it is the bulk of soda)) if so then the nvidia geforce is the lowest card and i need a ATI Radeon X300 or greater

Everybody has this problem. Your Dell 8400 with Pcie is going to be fine no need to Overclock.
But there is a simple fix........
You need  information on your graphics  card number. When you have it...
Then you need to.
Find your Graphics.config file.
Open it with Notepad.
Save it to "Desktop" just in case.
Now Edit any line you like to ( my graphics card nunber)    3    0    3 ................so it matches existing entries.
Save
Next time the game is started you will get extra options available  :)

i did all the tweaks and  i have concluded that i may need ati card (hint given by ati logo on startup)

why i got some improvement i am not getting as good control with the hand as i get with the spinning finial.

the card is an agp card witch may be a factor too.

ATI or Nvidia cards should be OK.

What confuses me is the Dell 8400 series all haves a PCIe graphics card slot  as standard and not  a AGP as you stated.

they do have a agp slot but it is offset by a millimeter or so because while the connector is the same length as the agp and you can fit an agp card into it you can only do so if the motherboard is removed since the offset puts the slot a millimeter or so closer to the back. (put a dell dimension 8400 video card in an agp slot or power mac g4 desktop you will have a gap between the card and the back panel the thickness of 1 or 2 knockout strips)

i have a couple of apple ati radeon (i think 9600's) and they did not quite fit so i figured ok maybe a proprietary thing to prevent apple parts from fitting pc's.

packard bell did something like that with the 5 volt rail of their power supplies and parts.

a standard pc part could run on 6 volts but a packard bell part would be power starved if used in a standard pc (it was to keep users from trying to use packard bell parts in standard pcs or even in macs that was coming onto the market at the time who just started using standard pc parts)

Gremxula said:
ATI or Nvidia cards should be OK.

What confuses me is the Dell 8400 series all haves a PCIe graphics card slot  as standard and not  a AGP as you stated.

update: i just made a youtube video to show what i mean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oDnLjyQjaI&feature=youtu.be

Ah that could explain a lot.

The card should run B&W2 Ok but only on the low settings in the original  graphics.config. you would also probably change resolution to 800x600 to get good frame rates.
The 6200 series were a budget / low end set of cards when released in 2004.

MORE INFO HERE.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_6_Series#Discontinued_support

what would be a good graphics card that would not become obsolete in a short time.

i found some cards that where pulls from dells

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sop=15&_sacat=0&_nkw=dell+dimension+8400+video&rt=nc&LH_BIN=1

They look rather expensive to me and I would go with something like this...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=pcie+video+card+ati+hd&_sacat=175673&_odkw=pcie+video+card&LH_BIN=1&_sop=15&_osacat=175673

Any low end ATI HD series will be good enough to stomp all over B&W2 and almost any game your cpu can handle. I used to play B&W2 on a HD2900 at 1680x1050 ,60 fps and all details maxed out. 256m onboard ram.  My son still uses the card in his PC and plays WOW Dragon Age 2 Skyrim etc .

Just a word of warning about some of the newer PCIe 2 and 2.1 graphics cards although they will run  on your PCIe1 motherboard they will be effectively crippled. I found out the hard way when I upgraded from HD4650(PCIe 1) to a HD6450( PCIe 2.1)  said to be totally compatible but I dropped from a little clunky 28fps to 12fps. 

Hope this helps

Back