Black and White 1 issues after SP2 and 1.2 update.

PurpleApe

Ok. I read through the various FAQs regarding issues involving this game. I used to have the mouse/minimizing problem. I did a clean install of XP with SP 2, updated all my drivers, and patched to 1.2. A different issue surfaced after all of of the aforementioned fixes.  I double click on the shortcut and the CD begins to read. The game will load up to a blank, black screen and quickly close to the desktop. I have to keep on clicking on the shortcut after each failed load till it eventually boots the game. Sometimes it will start after a few attempts other times it's close to several dozen attempts. When it does finally load the game plays flawlessly. I did come across a NOCD fix. Do they introduce new gameplay bugs? Are movies and or audio missing if you use NOCD crack? Do you recommend this as a last resort?  :help

System

Pentinum 4 2.8 Ghz
512 ddr 2
60 gig 5400 rpm hard drive
Mobile ATI 9700 128mb(runs the latest and greatest of games i.e. F.E.A.R., Half Life 2, B & W 2)
Logitech Mouse with mouseware now removed(tried both ways)
DirectX 9.0c
the latest Omega Drivers based off of the ATI Catalyst 5.9's
No spyware
No virus
Clean XP install with Service Pack 2
Audio drivers for Sigmatel audio card up to date
Tried all compatibilty modes
Tried the hotfix solutions
defragged
Multiple formats
without 1.2 mouse/minimize issue
with 1.2 game reads cd, game closes, acts if the game was never initialized
Tried wtih original Black and White release (no cd scratches)
Tried with Black and White Deluxe Edition( no cd scratches)
Tried with Creature Isle
Tried without Creature Isle
Tried with a CD back up

well i am the master of no-cd emulation and i can reveal no new bugs infact i think it fixes a few :laugh:
if u copy to cd to your hard-drive then u wont have audio issues or anything thats all there is to it althought im not really sure its a cd problem your having might just be your comp dont like bnw1 mine just dont like bnw2 it plays the other 1 1/2 (bnw+addon :p) but thats just vid card...

Well there always is that option called: Buy Black and White 2  :yes

Maybe your system is just too good to be playing B&W and refuses to. :p

Seriously, there have been times where B&W just won't run on some systems for some reason and the nocd patch is the only way to get it to run. One thing you should do before trying it is to copy the files in the music folder on the cd over to the music folder in the game directory. Only thing you haven't mention is if you had another cd-drive you could install it from.

Logitech Mouse with mouseware now removed(tried both ways)
From experiance, mouseware will give a funky zoom problem, but not in starting the game. Do leave it removed.

Tried all compatibilty modes
For compatibility mode, Win98 seems to work the best.

Tried the hotfix solutions
That shouldn't be necessary if you have SP2 installed.

Hope that helps a bit.

Thanks for all the replies! I will test a few more things before I resort to using the nocd fix.

I KNOW WHY. This happend to me. Your video drivers are to "advanced" for the game. Only way to play is delete new drivers and add older ones.  :)

Back