B&W1 Patch Error

CarnageHeart

Me and a friend are wanting to play B&W1 again. I am running Windows XP 64, he is running Windows 7 64. All of the patches install perfectly fine for him. However for me, not so much...

I get the following errors when trying to install ANY of the patches.

"Neither command line parameter specified is an existing directory."
"You do not have the correct version of Black & White installed to use this patch."

I've tried multiple uninstalls and re-installs. Cleared out the registry keys that are made. And I checked to see if /HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Lionhead Studios Ltd/Black & White/GameVersion(REG_DWORD) is there and set to 100.

Everything as far as what I can see on a technical end is correct.

Has anyone else encountered this? Is there a way to get the patch to install correctly?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Install path ?

The game will not patch properly if installed to the default settings on more modern versions of Windows than when the game was released in 2001.
Standard advice for the past 10y or so is .......

Uninstall the game
Clean the registry with a registry cleaner
Optional .... Re-Boot PC
Create a new folder on the root of one of your  drives... C:/Games ..... is a popular  choice so I will use it in the next step
Start to install the game and edit the path when you get the chance  from "Program files" to "Games"
The game will now install and be patchable  :D

Gremxula said:
Install path ?

The game will not patch properly if installed to the default settings on more modern versions of Windows than when the game was released in 2001.
Standard advice for the past 10y or so is .......

Uninstall the game
Clean the registry with a registry cleaner
Optional .... Re-Boot PC
Create a new folder on the root of one of your  drives... C:/Games ..... is a popular  choice so I will use it in the next step
Start to install the game and edit the path when you get the chance  from "Program files" to "Games"
The game will now install and be patchable  :D

Did that, I actually install all of my games to "C:\Games", so yeah. :p
I had read somewhere that the patchers also mess up with the & symbol in the directory (I tried patching with and without the & symbol), so I took that out too. So my install path is "C:\Games\Lionhead Studios Ltd\Black and White\"

My install path is similar... so the only problem I can think of is that failed previous attempts have not been cleared  from the  registry properly.
The game can and will patch fine. I have or have had the game patched and running on W98, W2000 (pro) , XP , Vista , W7 and  W8 RC.
So you must look to what you have done or not done to resolve this issue.
What I would do..
Uninstall the game using  what ever method suits you but add /remove programs is easiest.
Use a registry cleaner to delete all redundant registry keys....

Then install to ......ANY....Drive you have....../BW1/
It has never failed yet and will patch fine  and  No CD if you want it.

Really I think this issue is because I'm using the 64 bit version of XP. Since no programs were really made to support it and existing programs rely mostly on its under developed support of 32bit architecture.

I did a sort of ghetto work around for this which seems to of worked fine. I had set up a virtual machine of XP 32bit and installed the game and patched it in there. Then copied out the installation overwriting the one I have thusly giving me the 1.20 patched files. Then I just checked for registry changes and copied over what needed to be done, which was only changing the GameVersion value to 120.

Everything works fine now, though it does annoy me a bit that I had to go through extra effort just to patch the game.

Thank you for your time though, it really is appreciated. :)

Ugh I'm having the exact same problem and I am also running Win 7 64. None of the tips in the Windows 7 thread are helping me to install the patches. I've reinstalled to several different locations, I've run CCleaner between installations, I've run everything as the Admin, but I still get the same error every time. I might just have to play the game stock, but I know that the first patch fixed a ton of issues.

Since I'm not going to install windows all over again to get the patched files, does anyone happen to have access to the files in the 1.1 patch that they can throw in a zip or something?

This also happens with windows 8.

What I think is going on is the naming folder system of the patches does not function properly.

Make the b&w folder without spaces, and without the & sign.

See if that helps.
Also, from vista and up. Use compatibility setting XP service pack 3 + Admin rights.

Sylcai's solution is correct, you need to have an install path in C:\ and you also need to make sure there are no spaces or funny symbols in it, example: "C:\Games\BlackWhite". So remove all spaces and funny symbols and it should work following handsome matt's installation guide on all OS without Compitability Settings.

Just remember to Right-click and go "Run as Administrator" also thoroughly make sure you have removed all Registry values for BW1 before you attemt an re-install. I used Registrar Register Manager and di a Search for "Lionhead" and all relevant entries will show up for you to delete.

(http://www.resplendence.com/registrar) <- Software i used to clean register, don't know if posting this link is ok but i'll just wing it xD. Otherwise google "Registrar Registry Manager".

They have Home Edition which is free and Commercial/Professional for businesses with more advanced options that you pay for. To do this though all you need is the Home Edition. 

MAKE SURE THEY ARE FOR BW1 FIRST THOUGH, if you have BW2 installed that will show up as well.
If you have BW2 installed you could search for "Lionhead Studios Ltd" instead, that will give you the entries related to BW1 only.

Back