About Artifacts

Aquaticus

Does anyone have a list of the things that CAN'T become artifacts? I know that there are a lot of things that CAN, though.

Living things  can not be artifacts, same for buildings ....Just about any "not alive" object you can  pick up and place is a viable artifact . So rocks  will trees and sheep wont.

Miracle Seeds
People
Cattle and other animals
Trees
Buildings of any kind
Food
Wood
Anything that is stuck on the ground (you can't pick it up), like the singing stones in Land 2.

That's all I can think of.

I never thought food piles were viable artifacts...  I just used those singing stones, since you can't bust 'em.

No, no, I mean they WON'T work. Nothing that turns into resources works either, like grain shoots and giant fish. The mobile Singing Stones are the best for artifacts, aside from the Crying Stones, which are easier to throw far and accurately, being lighter, and are just as indestructible.

What about creature poo? ... It's gotta be used for something.

'Though it also makes for a decent flaming projectile in the right circumstances. Like when you know your opponent is watching so you can get a laugh.  :p

There's lots you can do with creature poo it really deserves a topic of its own.
Back on topic  Singing and larger crying stones make the best artifacts, but for some  WOW factor I like to use  the Idol  and  the Statue from the in game quests.
Also fun is using other gods artifacts as your own. This dose not exist in the main game as supplied  but  is an easy mod  for  skirmish maps.

Creature poo is neat. But you can't poison food sources with it.  :( 
In Skirmish I like using Nemesis's "meteorite" curse stones as artifacts. You know, the gilded glass boxes?

Grem, how do you get other gods to make artifacts? And use them as your own? I have never heard of such a thing, and now I am intrigued.

Yes, but I was asking if the poo can become an artifact. I doubt it, but it would be interesting, eh?

Sier the answer to your  question is  Yes. But they can be a bit small even  from a full sized creature.
Okapi the other gods don't make artifacts , but you  can  create "instant" artifacts belonging to  any god, in the current skirmish or edited main game land.
I will try to find some examples But I lost most of my B&W1 stuff years ago about 5Gig disappeared due to a power supply failure killing my  then current drive  backing up  to my old drive  that had the original  data on it, but cleared to take the new backup. Sometimes life is shit.

If poo can become an artifact, why bother with anything else? Okay, sure, it's easily destroyed, and it can be a bit small(full grown 'samples' are barely bigger than a villager), but... It's so readily available. :rolleyes

True, but as I recall, some objects make more powerful artifacts than others.

The best being the singing stones from Land 1 or those funny-round head-shaped stones on Land 3 (bad description I know).  Once you charge up those bad boys, they tend to give you more belief than other types of artifacts.

Looking at this from a villagers point of view, I can kinda see the logic of this.

If a divine entity drops an object imbued with belief in him, don't you think you'd be more appreciate of a giant stone with fancy carvings in it as opposed to a giant heap of crap?

Although in these modern artistic days, I acknowledge that it's getting harder to tell the difference to tell between the two :suspect.  But I digress...

In short, while poo can be made into an artifact, it's not the best source material so to speak :no .

[edit]I'm hearing from some corners that poo cannot be turned into artifacts.  I'm suggesting that this may be a restriction in multiplayer for some reason (can't think of what though).

Just to settle things, can someone post a screenie of a poo artifact?[/edit]

Do you mean Crying Stones?  ???
I'll try to get a pic of a poo artifact.  :yes
It just might take a while before they dance around it!  :laugh2

Appleape  Yes  FP means  crying stones.
If you want  a pic of a poo artifact.  The  best way is  to  create one giant  poo then make it an artifact in  a skirmish game. 
30s  of typing against  hours of worship.

Wouldn't that make it a false artifact then, Grem? If you can just mod the script to make it an artifact yourself, then you have no way of knowing if it would actually become one through worship from villages, thus, not a true artifact. Right?

People are taking the poo artifact suggestion a bit too seriously.A deadpan response is one thing, but... :shocked

I bet I could do this. But I am still eternally putting off booting up my old computer. My current excuse is that I have Daggerfall on my Netbook, so why bother with games I've already beaten a googolplex of times?

I agree, Pat, that it is often difficult these days to tell the difference between a great monument imbued with the divine power of believe and a load of "sugar", but I also have to point out that God gave the Jews the Ark of the Covenant and the Commandments, which were carried on the shoulders of two ordinary men, the Holy Grail and various other sacred cups around the world were rarely larger than a cauldron or largish fire-pit, Pele sends thousands of individual pieces of sand as her godly objects, and while great temples were built to them, the Greek Pantheon mostly just gave magical swords and shields and helmets and art and nothing nearly on the scale of what we gave them. Shiva sent down to men many scaled-down representations of his... *ahem* "member." The notable exception is the Japanese creator-gods, who gave man Japan. :suspect

Okapidragon said:
I bet I could do this. But I am still eternally putting off booting up my old computer. My current excuse is that I have Daggerfall on my Netbook, so why bother with games I've already beaten a googolplex of times?

I agree, Pat, that it is often difficult these days to tell the difference between a great monument imbued with the divine power of believe and a load of "sugar", but I also have to point out that God gave the Jews the Ark of the Covenant and the Commandments, which were carried on the shoulders of two ordinary men, the Holy Grail and various other sacred cups around the world were rarely larger than a cauldron or largish fire-pit, Pele sends thousands of individual pieces of sand as her godly objects, and while great temples were built to them, the Greek Pantheon mostly just gave magical swords and shields and helmets and art and nothing nearly on the scale of what we gave them. Shiva sent down to men many scaled-down representations of his... *ahem* "member." The notable exception is the Japanese creator-gods, who gave man Japan. :suspect

You're absolutely right.

Although, to be fair, I wasn't thinking that much into it.  Given the primitive nature of the villagers in B&W1 (soccer field not withstanding),  I was more thinking the 2001 Monolith than anything else.

*Imagines cave men avoiding giant poo monolith for fear of smelling worse than they already do :laugh2 *

Ah, I see.

But if any extremely large piece of glowing red crap fell out of the sky, I'd know something is up. :p Though I would not touch it.

The  modded artifacts  are just as real as the worrshiped for ones brought from  a previous land.
It uses the same code  as the vortex to generate objects in  a new land.
Remember in B&W1 you are God and if you want to create  a miraculous  100 foot poo with magical properties you can. If the villagers accept your creation and worship it then it  becomes part of their religion and fully real in any sense.
FP ... Creature  poo burns readily so it is presumably dry and not  very smelly. Dried herbivore  dung is or  has been  used  for  1000's of years for  fuel for cooking fires in much the same way as peat in Ireland. :D

Back